Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently upgraded samba from 3.0.10 -> 3,0.20 for a fileserver that i'm running. After the upgrade, (following the how-to to THE LETTER), i cannot get smbd to start. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Samba will not start

I recently upgraded samba from 3.0.10 -> 3,0.20 for a fileserver that i'm running. After the upgrade, (following the how-to to THE LETTER), i cannot get smbd to start. After a dozen or so complete stripdowns and removals of samba, complete w/ cleaning out directories, and even so far as redownloading the source code w/ clean compilations...i cannot get samba to start. Syslog shows no abnormal terminations (execept for the one time i had a config line w/ a typo for the SWAT location), no other abormalities on the system... checked file locations, links, binaries check out, configuration appears to be spot on, testparm comes back fine, smb.conf is simple and very basic (going with a single-read only share JUST TO GET IT WORKING!!!!), system is fine...i don't know...If i can't get smbd / nmbd to atleast return an error in a log, what do i do if it won't start??? 3.0.10 worked fine...and the first step i tried was a "make revert" and that didn't even bring the 3.0.10 back to life....
    i'm confused, and annoyed..anyone else ever see this?
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Linux Newbie
    problem solved.

(just like always - you finally get fed up to the point where you have to post a help request somewhere, things start working )

symlinks....ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SYMLINKS!!! It was a spelling error. (apparently i had spelled it wrong a dozen times too)
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines