Find the answer to your Linux question:
I work in a school and I'd like to set up a small webspace for several hundred students, maybe 5 Mb each, with MySQL and PHP enabled. These would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hundreds of websites on one server? Best way to go.

I work in a school and I'd like to set up a small webspace for several hundred students, maybe 5 Mb each, with MySQL and PHP enabled. These would be for internal (Intranet) access only. They'd need to be able to upload using FTP. In effect I guess I'm trying to set myself up as a inschool ISP.
    I quite enjoy the challenge of getting things like this working, but I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction to get this setup.

Many thanks

Steve

do they all have a "home" type partition that gets mounted when they log on?

You could do a similar solution to what my uni had.

a Linux server, which stored all the files. and on that computer, run apache with the homedir stuff, such that going to:

will, instead of going to the usual webroot, goto where you specify, which would probably be

/home/username/public_html
    This means that the students dont need to ftp files to their webroot, simply copy to their users space on the webserver onto ~/public_html.

If their documents are not stored on the same computer as the webserver, then a simoilar solution with ftp to ~/public_html should work out ok.

Hope this explains reasonably.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    Also another solutions is to create a portal:

You create a website:

http://websiteaddress/index.php

When they want to create their own website you get this:

http://websiteaddress/users/name/index.php where they can upload their webpage thru a upload facility.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close