Find the answer to your Linux question:
I dont know much about linux but I have been thinking about trying to set up a web server on either madriva or ubuntu linux and I have DSL and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wondering if its posible to run a server on a dynamic ip?

I dont know much about linux but I have been thinking about trying to set up a web server on either madriva or ubuntu linux and I have DSL and no Static Ip. One of my friends says its not posible but I am hopping he is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreacitated. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    its possible, trying to figure that out myself currently, if you own a domain name you will even be able to use some dns servers to automatically update your dynamic ip to your registrar...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

You can always use http://www.dyndns.org, but that doesn't provide *real* domain names IIRC. Loft306 knows of one offshore (US) that provides dynamic DNS services, but I can't remember it. I'll get back to you on that...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yeah as sarumont says it is totally possible!

I started with 'dyndns.org' with a loft306.homelinux.org ( a 2nd level domainname) and am currently on 'zoneedit.com' with a real domainname and a dynamic ip.

All you do is sign up for a re-directed dns account and they are free... at both companies then you simply run a script on your puter that updates the dns info each time the ip changes or every 28 days (if it decides not to change for a while as not to be dumped) or if you are on a router like a linksys, d-link or netgear then they have an update script for a few companies built into the router that you just configure

I use ddclient as the script to update my dns info http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    I have got the dns workign but I have been having toruble with port forwarding on my actiontec router that you get free from qwest. Do I have to buy a new modem and router. I have changed the port to things other than the defults so I dont think my isp is blocking the port. Im not sure what I should do.