Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey hey, i am attempting to boot my server up in runtime 3 (in fedora core 3) to attempt to save the resources required for X to be in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rc.d directory and runtime levels

hey hey,

i am attempting to boot my server up in runtime 3 (in fedora core 3) to attempt to save the resources required for X to be in the background. The only problem is that once the server boots the httpd and the mysqld do not get started (althoguh I noticed that httpd is in the rc2.d and the rc3.d directories while mysqld is in the rc3.d).

So, I have a few questions regarding this. What is the difference between the files that begin with S and the files that begin with K (S12mysql and K13sshd etc). What is it that I need to get the mysqld and sshd dameons running in runtime 3? Is it possible? I dont really see why they would need X but perhaps theres something I am missing.

if i am not clear about something here just ask.

thanks

The entries that start with S or K are symlinks to daemons. If the symlink starts with an S, the system starts the service when booting to that runlevel; if it starts with a K, the service is not allowed to run at boot. The number after the letter specifies the order in which the daemons are run at boot.

To make a daemon start at boot, simply create a link to the daemon in /etc/init.d. For example:
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/sshd S13sshd

If the service is listed in the rc.* directory for the runlevel you are using but begins with a K, you could simply rename the symlink so that it starts with an S to make it start at boot. For example:
    Code:
    mv K13sshd S13sshd
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    You may have a utility that can be run in runlevel 3 (note: "runlevel", not "runtime") that will allow you to view and edit the services started at that runlevel: try 'ntsysv' or, to edit a runlevel different from the current one: 'ntsysv --level <level>'
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    The entries that start with S or K are symlinks to daemons. If the symlink starts with an S, the system starts the service when booting to that runlevel; if it starts with a K, the service is not allowed to run at boot. The number after the letter specifies the order in which the daemons are run at boot.
    This is almost true (sorry Flatline)

The symlinks in each runlevel directory are named very specifically:

An S or K (for Start or Kill)
    A 2-digit number indicating a sequence order in which this should take place
    A service name

The service directory is parsed when changing runlevel, i.e. at boot or following an 'init' call.

The best way to modify them is using a tool for the purpose - trust me here, it really is loads easier. On Fedora Core the tool is:

system-config-services

which runs in text mode or in an X window.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/