Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I did some read ups on security/hardware issues, and from what I gathered, i was informed that its better for one to compile his Linux build from source, especially ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Kernel Newbie

hello,

I did some read ups on security/hardware issues, and from what I gathered, i was informed that its better for one to compile his Linux build from source, especially when talking of servers....to get rid of a lot of unwanted stuff, make the linux kernel of minimal size etc., that the build performs better.....

so i read more on kernel compilation etc...and from what i gathered, kindly verify my conclusion: (that i have to install a distro first before I begin compiling....ex: i can plug in my RH cds, and install the server/workstation option, then ill recompile the kernel), thereby weeding out all the undesirables...........is this how its done?

I was also informed that for every package i install/uninstall, ill have to recompile afresh.

Q1..if I have to recompile after every addition of an application, what happens to all the configs of the previously compiled applications? ex: dhcp, mail server settings etc...

Q2 ex: i want to setup a dhcp server on linux today, then about a month later on, i want to add something else, and sometime later, remove one of the applications/services on the machine...........if i have to compile and recompile everytime, wont this make sys-administration or remote admin quite hard.......or is there a special way this can be done....i mean if one is dealing with clients that might want one thing now, and something else later on....how is it done....

Q3...if such of the above is the case, is it possible for me to have a generic compiled kernel which I could reuse over and over again........transfer from machine to machine.....with all my own specs in place?

pls, any sites for Kernel compilations for newbies.........
    any advise/s............

Q4...more on security, when compiling the kernel, i would like to ensure/force a condition that my admin password(for example) must be keyed in from only the server hardware itself.....
    ........is this possible/how do I achieve this....

**any references.......

Toks

i really don't think you need to recompile every application if a kernel changes (this may not be true for major changes e.g. 2.4 to 2.6).

Instead of using RH as a server OS, why don't you try gentoo, you basicially start off making a custom kernel, then add whatever apps that you deem necessary e.g. mail, dhcp etc... However, the clients can still run whatever OS they prefer. Every app you decide to run is tailor made for your system based on the kernel and system configuration you are using.

Upgrading kernel and everything can be done with one command:
    Code:
    emerge world
    See www.gentoo.org for more info.

Also see these sites:
    http://kernelnewbies.org/
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html <--- I use this site as a reference when compiling my kernels.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie
    thanks AlexK,

i visited the gentoo website. Please, i have an Intel P3 computer, which of the x86 downloads do I choose?.... i mean which of the following do I get?
    Minimal install CD, Universal Install CD or the package CD?

thanks
    Toks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    choose a normal x86 for i386 or i586 download, and get the package and universal install cd. The universal install cd is for setting base system up and package cd is for extra packages. Read the gentoo handbook which can be found on that site thoroughly before attempting any installation.

i386 = Pentium 2/3 class
    i586 = Pentium 3/early 4 class
    i686 = Pentium 4
    x64 = AMD 64
    IA_64 = Intel 64
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.