Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have ubuntu on my server now...and am pretty bored with it. My server isn't that powerful (see specs in sig)...and I want an OS that will run very smoothly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Distro for my server

I have ubuntu on my server now...and am pretty bored with it. My server isn't that powerful (see specs in sig)...and I want an OS that will run very smoothly on it. I also need http server, ftp server, ect files. I just host websites of my server and the like. Space isn't that limited (30gb)...but i was looking into those new lightweight distros...to try em out. I am open to graphical environments...I just don't enjoy gnome that much (prefer KDE). And no...larger distros like Mandrake and SuSE don't seem to run smoothly.

Thanks for any suggestions.

oz
    forum.guy
    You might like Slackware. Know that it and KDE get along fine, too.

Slackware is a great choice if you're getting bored... However, I also like Fedora Core.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    hmm...slack...maybe...

any other suggestions?

Getting bored with a server??? Hehe...I view that as a positive and what your goal SHOULD be:)

Seriously though, for a server, once you get stuff like apache, mysql, php, ssh, ftp, et cetera, loaded and running well, you really don't need to be doing anything else with it. I mean, once I got my server up (and assuming you are talking about a dedicated server, not a box that you also use as a desktop), I never touched the thing. I don't need a monitor and really could put it in a closet or something...

If you are using the box as a server and you got all the server apps running you need, what more do you need? In that case, I don't understand why the distro even matters. I recommend slack, as that is what I use and think that is a solid server, but really, if things are running, why do you need to change?
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

If your only real complaint is GNOME, then you could try out plain old Debian. On most of my computers, I use Debian Stable with KDE.

With Debian, it's trivially easy to use apt-get to install and try out all of the popular desktop environments and window managers. It'll even automatically configure gdm and/or kdm to offer choices of which desktop environment or window manager you want to log in as.

Personally, I use KDE most of the time on any computer with 192+megs of RAM. I only use lightweight window managers regularly on computers with 128megs or less. (I use IceWM; it's boring but very small.)

I don't blame you for disliking GNOME. My main complaint with GNOME is that the file browser, Nautilus, is slow. It feels sluggish even on my fastest workstation. KDE's file browser Konqueror is much faster, and I tend to use it the most. Rox-filer is good for my really slow computers, but I miss Konqueror's eye candy and generally better ease/efficiency of use. Of course, I do most of my actual file management on my fastest workstation, so making the computer work a little harder is barely noticeable compared to making ME work less.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    deek: ....I use it as a server and a "testing ground". I am CONSTANTLY screwing around with it for fun.

IsaacKuo: Thanks for the suggestion. I found it pretty helpful. I just wanted a nice, fast window manager because I'm probably going to be using realvnc to control my server...and I hate when vnc is slow.

Ok, that makes more sense, then. I guess, I always assume and equate "server" to a strict server machine and in my case, I can't remember the last time I have used anything but command-line on mine:) And it has been a really long time since I have actually logged into it outside of SSHing to it...I see the box everyday at home, but I never actually access it locally:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Based on what you have described, I would reccomend you try Vector, which is based on Slack. It is very fast on older hardware, and even better on newer. Its a fairly easy way to use slackware. I use it for my older PIII pcs and it is great. It woudl make a fine webserver as well. I am still using Mandriva for all my webservers, but I am thinking about switching to Vector

http://vectorlinux.com/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreen
    Based on what you have described, I would reccomend you try Vector, which is based on Slack. It is very fast on older hardware, and even better on newer. Its a fairly easy way to use slackware. I use it for my older PIII pcs and it is great. It woudl make a fine webserver as well. I am still using Mandriva for all my webservers, but I am thinking about switching to Vector

http://vectorlinux.com/
    Thanks
    hmmm...I may just try it...but probably on my laptop....cause I wanna keep slack for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast