Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Folks, I have an old ProLiant 6000 sitting in a cupboard doing nothing and i would like to create a storage area for archived data on our Network. Since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro for Samba on old Hardware

Hi Folks,

I have an old ProLiant 6000 sitting in a cupboard doing nothing and i would like to create a storage area for archived data on our Network. Since i have been told i am allowed a budget on 00.00, can anyone recommend a distro for a P200, 256Mb RAM 40Gb (RAID5) machine?

I am completely new to linux but i dont mind getting my hands dirty

TIA,
    Lee

Linux Engineer
    Zenwalk works great on older hardware (slackware-based), has a light GUI (boots with 60 MB RAM), and a compact installation (1.1 GB), so I think that might suit your needs . An alternative is VectorLinux.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I am downloading ZenWalk now, i will give it a shot.

I already have a copy of VectorLinux 5 and it doesnt see the SCSI Drives (i tried using all three kernel options at the start of setup).

Lee

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Zenwalk has two different kernels, a (serial) ATA one, and an SCSI one. I think you'll want to go with the SCSI one, but it won't see any ATA drives on your system. You would have to recompile the kernel for that. So take care.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **