Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I have a question about squirrelmail....I downloaded, installed, configured etc squirrelmail using a tutorial at: http://solaris.qmailrocks.org/webmail.htm Somwhere in the tutorial: Make sure you restart Apache after making the above ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

squirrel mail config - needs help

hello,

I have a question about squirrelmail....I downloaded, installed, configured etc squirrelmail using a tutorial at: http://solaris.qmailrocks.org/webmail.htm

Somwhere in the tutorial:
    Make sure you restart Apache after making the above changes.
    Ok, now that Apache is all configured, let's test the new webmail interface...

http://www.yourdomain.com/webmail

We'll sign in with the postmaster account under the domain you should have created earlier using Vqadmin...

Username: postmaster@yourdomain.com

Password: your_password
    I am able to access my squirrelmail login page, but I cant login, since I dont know what username d password to use....ive tried the ones specified above, but didntwork.

I also tried the "admin@......" which I specified in when I added the following to my httpd.conf file:
    <VirtualHost my IP:80>
    ServerName mail.mydomain.com
    ServerAlias mail.*
    ServerAdmin admin@mydomain.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/webmail
    </VirtualHost>

As I said, im able to access my squirrelmail login page, however, cant login. From the tutorial i followed with link above, and with a line quoted as:
    We'll sign in with the postmaster account under the domain you should have created earlier using Vqadmin...
    I looked for Vqadmin, untarred it and tried to install, however the error I get is:
    configure error: unable to find your qmail directory...specify --enable-qmaildir
    Questions:
    - do I have to install qmail before I can user vqadmin?
    - how about my squirrelmail

what I want is for Squirrelmail to fetch mails from a webmail hosted by a mail/hosting company, for distribution locally to clients pointing to it using MS outlook

Toks

Just Joined!
    remember that squirrelmail is a web-based mail client, then you should have an IMAP mail server installed on the host along with squirrel mail. If you already have a workng IMAP mail server, and any smtp server, then you can login to squirrelmail using you local accounts. Or you should be able to login using the virtual accounts you've created.

Questions:
    - do I have to install qmail before I can user vqadmin?
    yes, you should have to. I think vqadmin is the web-based admins tool for qmail virtual domain
    - how about my squirrelmail
    you should see to it first that you have a working smtp (qmail or postfix) and IMAP server (courier,i imap 2004, bincImap, cyrus-imap) before the squirrel mail do what it should be doin...

the login page is only a php driven page.. it means that you have a working APAche and PHP.. and if I'm not wrong, you also need a working mysql server for this setup

Quote Originally Posted by aioshin
    and if I'm not wrong, you also need a working mysql server for this setup
    You dont need a working mysql server, you can configure it to use mysql (for address books and such) if available, but it will run fine without.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    hello guys,

thanks for the replies, but im still little bit confused.....

my present setup is that: for a small office setup, each staff point their MS outlook install to "mail.theircompanyname.com". Incoming(POP3) and outgoing(SMTP)...with individual names, passwords, and mail addresses offcourse.......

this webmail is provided by the company hosting "theircompanyname.com"'s website....

i would want to set up a mail server to pull all mails from the webmail service "mail.theircompanyname.com" at "theircompanyname.com", so that each pc can now point to the in-housed server(to send and receive mails), rather than the online webmail, coz the mailbox-size of the online-webmail is quite limited....and also provide the ability for the in-house server to be online, so that mails can be checked from different locations..outside the office...

Doing some readups on webbased mail clients, I came across qmail rocks etc.

from the infos I gathered, "i thought" i could just install squirrelmail, so that it could do the entire mail pulling and at the same time, make the mails available online.....

pls kindly clarify......
    i thought qmail is supposed to act like the webmail service i mentioned above. If so, is there a way around it without installing qmail.......
    if not, pls help to clarify...

another thing, as aioshin said:
    remember that squirrelmail is a web-based mail client, then you should have an IMAP mail server installed on the host along with squirrel mail. If you already have a workng IMAP mail server, and any smtp server
    if qmail is my IMAP mail server......i dont know, what kind of server is the webmail....

toks
    Toks