Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am new to Linux and I have recently set up a webserver with apache and FC 3. The webserver works great on my local LAN, but people on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can access webserver on local LAN, but not the Internet

I am new to Linux and I have recently set up a webserver with apache and FC 3. The webserver works great on my local LAN, but people on the internet can't access it. I have made shure that apache is running on port 80 and that my firewall unblocked port 80. I have also set the file permissions to apache/apache on the //var/www/html file. I have registered with DynDNS with the tool on my router (ZyXel p330) and it works great. I have ADSL and my linux computer is connected to the internet through a router w/ a firewall and an xDSL modem with a firewall. I need help making the webserver avalable online.

Just Joined!
    do you have rerouted the port from your router to your computer?

router (wan) : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    router (lan) : 192.168.0.1
    computer : 192.168.0.100

dyndns : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80

your router has to route the request from dyndns to your pc
    (port forwarding)

Also check that your ISP isn't blocking any ports - they do that sometimes because they are tightwads when it comes to their bandwidth.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Same problem here

I am having the exact same problem.

1. I have a dyndns account and the IP there is correct. I pinged the domain name just to make sure it was linked to my current IP address.

2. I have a linksys router that is forwarding ports 80 (http) and 22 (ssh) to
    192.168.1.20 (my server). The router is also forwarding port 5900 (VNC) to another machine (192.168.1.102) on the local network and that forwarding works fine.

Since I know the DNS and the router forwarding are working, it must be a problem with the server.

Since both SSH and HTTP cannot connect, my guess is that the problem has to do with the overall network configuration and not just the individual applications.

Does FC3 block external access by default? If so, which configuration file allows you to change that?

*EDIT* I forgot to mention, I know that my ISP doesn't block ports 80 and 22 because I had a server set up on another computer running both apache and ssh. I was using Trustix on that machine.

Just Joined!
    i've had that same problem before too... trouble is i cant remember how i fixed it. i have the same problem again though, because some smart person decided to format the hard drive on the server..

I have a feeling it had something to do with a conflict between two versions of apache that were installed and trying to run at the same time..

Sorry I havn't replied in a while, I have been out of town.

1. How do you check if your ISP has blocked port 80?

2. I am only using one version of apache.

3. I have my linux firewall set to allow apache.

4. I have set DMZ on this computer, but the ZyXel router doesn't directly have port forwarding. Could that be the problem?

Just Joined!
    ZyXel router doesn't directly have port forwarding. Could that be the problem?
    well the server has to actually recieve the incoming requests before it can respond to them. So if your server is behind a router, the router has to forward http requests to the server or it wont work. not sure what you mean by directly, but most routers have some way of configuring port forwarding... if all else fails... read the manual

Re: Can access webserver on local LAN, but not the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by yourname3232
    I am new to Linux and I have recently set up a webserver with apache and FC 3. The webserver works great on my local LAN, but people on the internet can't access it. I have made shure that apache is running on port 80 and that my firewall unblocked port 80. I have also set the file permissions to apache/apache on the //var/www/html file. I have registered with DynDNS with the tool on my router (ZyXel p330) and it works great. I have ADSL and my linux computer is connected to the internet through a router w/ a firewall and an xDSL modem with a firewall. I need help making the webserver avalable online.
    I would contact these guys DynDNS sounds like dns issue?

To be clear you can get it from the registered domain name on your local network or is there a another way you are accessing it?

Just Joined!
    no, i dont think its a DNS thing... i had the same problem and im pretty certain the DNS was working fine. If you run a NSlookup on the domain name and it resolves ok, then the DNS is fine...otherwise there could be a problem.

Does your firewall/router give any logs? To really find out what is going on here, you need first to establish whether http requests are reaching that router. The logs should tell you that.

If packets are getting there, then you know it's a configuration problem for your LAN (probably port forwarding not working properly).

If they are not getting that far, then you know that the problem lies outside, probably in your ISP's configuration for you somewhere. If this is the case, you could have trouble making things work.

If it's a configuration problem at your end, check your port forwarding rules. Make sure that you have the firewall set up to forward port 80 traffic directly to the server computer by it's internal IP address.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast