Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have set my registrar to forward my domain, www.johntennyson.com , to my home ip, which currently is 69.86.84.137 -- technically this is a dynamic ip; however, it hardly ever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Can't get online, what do I do? Apache and httpd?

I have set my registrar to forward my domain, www.johntennyson.com, to my home ip, which currently is
    69.86.84.137 -- technically this is a dynamic ip; however, it hardly ever changes so I am treating
    it as a static ip and can always change the forwarding later on.

I have apache set to listen to all available adresses on port 80, so that I can have my router
    forward to my local server as there are many machines on my local network.

I have my router setup in the port forwarding section to forward the HTTP (service name) to the
    local ip of my machine (192.168.0.2) with the start and end ports of 80.

Results: not too good really, when I start apache with /etc/init.d/httpd start, it starts. OK, good
    for now. When I point any browser that is connected through our router to the local ip address of
    the server (192.168.0.2) then I see the web page that I want the world to see. Good Again.

The bad stuff . When I try to enter my ip manually in any browser I get a message reading: "The
    connection was refused when attempting to contact 68.86.84.137." The really strange part, though,
    is that when I attempt to connect to www.johntennyson.com--and you guys can check this out and tell
    me if I'm wrong--that it says connecting, transferring data; however, no webpage is displayed, and
    no connection refused message.

Ok I've read alot about port 80 being blocked by the isp, which I can check and it seems to be
    blocked; however, with the above setup, what can I do to change to a different port. I am new to
    server setups and don't know what it means to use 8080 or another port. Not sure how to turn them
    on and assign them, etc. When I run the command "nmap -p 80 69.86.84.137 I get a message that the
    port is closed". When I run "nmap -sT 69.86.84.137" I see that the only open port is 5432 running
    the postgres service...hmmm. When I run "nmap -p 80 192.168.0.2" for my local ip address I see that
    port 80 is up and running.

Can anyone help me getting my site online. I really don't understand why this isn't working.

Although, I think that it might be a problem with how I set my router, because I see the
    sight with local IP...

Thanks for your help...

john
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie

Re: Can't get online, what do I do? Apache and httpd?

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    ...The really strange part, though,
    is that when I attempt to connect to www.johntennyson.com--and you guys can check this out and tell
    me if I'm wrong--that it says connecting, transferring data; however, no webpage is displayed, and
    no connection refused message...
    Wrong I can see the webpage saying "Comming Soon JohnTennyson.com"

Linux Engineer
    Really...let me do some testing...for some reason its not working from the network...hmmm

Thank you so much for the heads up...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Can anyone else tell me if they can see the text at www.johntennyson.com ?

I just want to make sure that it is publically viewable to everyone. For some reason I cannot see it from the computers over my home network, but was just told by RustamB that it is viewable?

So can you guys see it?

Linux Newbie
    I can see it. Change the text on web-page to make sure that others are not chitting.

Linux Engineer
    I really hope that they wouldn't do that... But, ok, here goes...

Linux Newbie
    Look, I can see that page from 2 different ISP's. Both from 62.212.231.*, and 213.172.90.* subnets. I'm sure that everything is ok with your webpage. Problem is on your LAN, check to see firewall settings and etc. Does your LAN has access to the internet? Is certain port is closed on the computer you perform you tests from? Can you ping that IP from the computer on your LAN?

Linux Engineer
    Perfect pinging from all of my comps...if I enter the local ip the router provides I see the page without a hitch...When I go to just the address from any comp here, I just see a blank page...when I view the page source I see this

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>johntennyson.com</title>
    <META name="description" content="John Tennyson's Homepage">
    <META name="keywords" content="Tennyson, Khadempour, John Tennyson, Donna Khadempour, Goli, Darya">
    </head>
    <frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
    <frame src="http&#58;//69.86.84.137/" frameborder="0">
    <frame frameborder="0" noresize>
    </frameset>
    </html>
    Which is the information from my dns through my registrar...I just don't see the stuff from my /var/www/html/index.html...

If its just a local problem, which since you can see it from two ips I'm hoping it is, then its no problem at all, I can just view it locally through the router ips; however, I fear that it may be something incredably simple--isn't it always?--that I've over looked...hmmm.

Linux Guru
    It would be illogical for a router to send packets out one interface and in effect back in the same interface, hence most/all routers will give you exactly the same symptoms. It's not something you've done wrong, it's just the way routers work

Linux Engineer
    ahh, gotcha...thank you so much for the info...have used routers quite a bit but never really had to do anything before other than plug them in or cycle the power. Thanks for the heads up...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast