Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I can't be like this: the router is giving you a new ip every now and then?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I can't be like this: the router is giving you a new ip every now and then?
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I don't unsderstand it either, all i know is that my ip was 24.136.175.195

and i plugged it into the router and it changed to

which is what it is now.

Linux Engineer
    You probably get DHCP from your ISP. The previous time you had it set to a certain IP, it worked because that was the IP that was leased at that time. By the time you setup a router, a new IP was probably obtained and that's probably the reason why it wasn't working.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What kind of router do you have? Is it one where you can connect several pc's to? Or some kind of build in solution?d to the net and get's a dynamic ip like yours. I have my network behind the router in the 192.168 range. On my router I opened port 80 to point to one of my pc's.o it does not matter if the ISP IP changes because all http traffic gets forwarded to my webserver.

Obviously my isp provided some kind of dynamic dns solution so that my domain name is always accessible.
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Engineer
    Yes, forwarding port 80 does that. However, you still have to know if your public IP has changed. If a computer from the outside is trying to connect using the old public IP, then it will not work after your router has leased a new IP. In Matt's case, he used the "Listen" directive for apache to listen specifically to the public IP. I too am confused to why it won't work with the new IP but this directive is really unecessary unless setting up multiple ports or multiple sockets.

Matt:
    Can you double check your public IP and set it again. I think this might have something to do w/NAT. Since the request for port 80 is forwarded to your computer, I'm not 100% sure if the source IP still remains the public IP as the packet is being forwarded. If the src IP remains as public IP (theoretically speaking, i don't see why it would need to change), then you should not have any problems at all. By the way, do you have any other computers? If you do, you can try connecting from inside the network to your Web server. Of course set this it back to 24.136.169.112 and test it. My guess is that it won't when "Listen" is set to that IP.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    ok, sorry it took me so long to post. From what i've seen and learned in the past few weeks is that, if you are behind a router, you can't tell apache to listen to the routers external (public) IP, or the computers external IP. What you need to do is say
    Code:
    Listen *:80
    which means (i think) that apache will listen to a packet sent to ANY external IP as long as it comes through port 80. so, if you have no router use
    Code:
    Listen (external IP):(port)
    if you are behind a router, use
    Code:
    Listen *:(port)

I know how frustrating it is to get this stuff working, so if anyone needs help setting up a basic apache server, email me at mattspencer1@earthlink.net.

I would like to thank everyone for their help.

Just Joined!

Httpd bind

Hi Matt where is the linux config file?

Hi mikecarlyle !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

This thread is very old.
    I would suggest you to start a New Thread and explain your problem in detail. We will try our best to help you.

Sorry for inconvenience. Thread Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2