Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am using FC4 and I am trying to add a user(I will want to do this in a PHP script in the future) (for users to have files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with system/FTP users (vsftpd)

Hi, I am using FC4 and I am trying to add a user(I will want to do this in a PHP script in the future) (for users to have files hosted on apache and be able to edit their files via FTP) using the command
    useradd test5 -d /var/www/html/hosted/test5 -p "password" -s /bin/false -g "byte2_hosted"
    This does not show up with an error, however when I try to log in with it through FTP it says incorrect password.
    This is what I got from gFTP:
    Looking up 127.0.0.1
    Trying 127.0.0.1:21
    Connected to 127.0.0.1:21
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.3)
    USER test5

331 Please specify the password.
    PASS xxxx
    530 Login incorrect.
    Disconnecting from site 127.0.0.1

I then edited the user using the GUI and entered the password again.
    This time I got this output:
    Looking up 127.0.0.1
    Trying 127.0.0.1:21
    Connected to 127.0.0.1:21
    220 (vsFTPd 2.0.3)
    USER test4

331 Please specify the password.
    PASS xxxx
    500 OOPS: cannot change directory:/var/www/html/hosted/test4
    Disconnecting from site 127.0.0.1
    (By the way I know they are for different users. I have checked and the folder is owned by the correct user [test4/5] and the group 'byte2-hosted' exists and the users are assigned to it)
    Does anyone have any ideas? One more question, to update the user do you just do the command again? And how do you delete a user? Thanks very much for your help[/quote]

Just Joined!

Same problem: vsftp 2.0.3

Were you ever able to figure this out. I am seeing the same problem... if i set my users home directory to /tmp or something else, I can ftp in without problem. I have beat myself up looking through the vsftpd.conf file and check directory permissions to no avail. What version of vsftp are you running - i have another box with 1.2.1 configured the same way and had no issues...

Just Joined!
    No, never got this figured out - don't know what version it was - whatever came with FC4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If it is only you who is going to be accessing the FTP server, try logging in with root and the root password.

Just Joined!
    No, this is for MANY users and I want to write a script to automatically add them.