Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to replace a Windows 2000 Server in a small business setting. The existing server has EasyPHP (Apache, PHP, mySQL) installed and running our intranet. The existing server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Replacing a Win2K Server

I would like to replace a Windows 2000 Server in a small business setting.

The existing server has EasyPHP (Apache, PHP, mySQL) installed and running our intranet.
    The existing server is a resource to share files.
    The existing server is used as a domain controller, and all users logon to it; no profile data or info is stored on the server.

Our requirements:

Have a server that can do the above with little configuration.

Will Fedora Core 4 be the easiest way to go, or is there something better?

Also, what is the best way to ghost it or back it up--that is, are there any tape drives that are compatible with Linux, and the software needed to backup to it?

Thank in advance.

Linux Engineer
    with fedora core 4's server installation php, apache, sql, samba, etc are already installed and ready to use. All you have to do is run them as a service. Occasionally there are things that you will have to configure, but even this is made very easy, e.g. if you want to telnet into the server you have to open the telnet config file and set "disable " to no...pretty simple. I had more trouble figuring out port forwarding on the router than setting up anything on the server...but even that was a misunderstanding.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs