Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I'm the admin of a webserver running Redhat 8 (yeah...) with apache and vsftpd. I recently compiled a new kernel, version 2.6.13, and a few days later I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird vsftpd problem after upgrading kernel

Hi everyone. I'm the admin of a webserver running Redhat 8 (yeah...) with apache and vsftpd. I recently compiled a new kernel, version 2.6.13, and a few days later I got a message from my webmaster saying he couldn't upload files to the server. I soon discovered that this was indeed true, but not true for several other user accounts I tried--all of those accounts could upload/make directories/etc. fine.

I can't find anything referring to this in both the vsftpd or the httpd logs. The only error message I recieve is the 550 error while logged into the ftp server.

Other than the kernel, I haven't installed any new software or upgraded anything else since the problem started occuring--the kernel has been my most recent upgrade.

Any insight anyone could provide into this problem would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
    Diane

Linux Engineer
    I'm not sure but I would start with looking at the permission settings for his/her ftp home directory and settings in your vsftpd.conf file, which can alter settings for particular users, notably the chroot_home settings, sorry not sure about the exact nomenclature of it. It may also be a groups issue. Other than that you could always save your conf file and reinstall vsftpd if you haven't done that in a while...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    The thing with the permissions is that they haven't changed...I havn't modified any settings of any sort, this just started happening one day...I've checked the permissions and group settings, and they look fine to me. Let me know if you want me to post anything (logs, etc.).

Reinstalling vsftpd is a good idea...