Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i have installed jrun on fedora 4 and all works fine but i can not find any info on how to get jrun to start at boot up. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need to start jrun on bootup fedora 4

Hi i have installed jrun on fedora 4 and all works fine but i can not find any info on how to get jrun to start at boot up. i am fairly new to linux but finding my way around slowly. Any help on this would be much appriciated.

If there is an init script to start this service for a runlevel, then you need to edit the services available in each runlevel to turn it on.

If it doesn't have such a script, then add a line at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local to start it - this file is executed at the end of the bootup process after all the SysV init stuff is complete.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

rc.local

Hi Roxoff thank you for that added it to the rc.local file and it now starts up great. Somthing so simple yet so hard to find that little bit of info! One other qestion i might ask if you dont mind, what about on shutdown do i need to do anything so that it shuts down gracefully is there any way of placing something like that to stop it on shutdown.

Does it really need to close down cleanly? I mean, if you just terminate the program, will it leave data files or config files in an indeterminate state? You dont have to worry about leaving the program in memory in a state where it cannot start again, as it's only a problem during shutdown. Normally, if the program doesn't come with SysV init scripts, then it should be OK to just shutdown while its running.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Ok Roxoff i see what you mean you have been a greate help.