Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok.. here's the problem: i emerged pure-ftpd, edited the config file, forwarded port 21 to my linux box, and started pure-ftpd.. then when i tried to log on to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

ftpd problems

ok.. here's the problem:
    i emerged pure-ftpd, edited the config file, forwarded port 21 to my linux box, and started pure-ftpd.. then when i tried to log on to the ftp server via the No-IP address i have, it says connection refused... i checked the router and the config file.. no clues... read the readme... still nothing... any ideas on how to get it to work??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru

Re: ftpd problems

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    ok.. here's the problem:
    i emerged pure-ftpd, edited the config file, forwarded port 21 to my linux box, and started pure-ftpd.. then when i tried to log on to the ftp server via the No-IP address i have, it says connection refused... i checked the router and the config file.. no clues... read the readme... still nothing... any ideas on how to get it to work??
    What No-IP address?

If your trying to connect from outside your LAN, then you will need to connect to your Router's external IP address, if your connecting from the same PC (do this to check it works!!), use 127.0.0.1, and if your connecting from another machine on your LAN, use the Internal IP address of the ftp server, 192.168.** or whatever.

SSH to your FTP server box, do "netstat -an | grep tcp | grep :21", you should have 1 line returned, if not, your FTP server is proberly not started.

Jason

Linux Engineer
    ok... i ran the netstat.. got the line that says it's listening... the No-IP address is mytallest.zapto.org

i have the program noip2 started at the default runlevel, which updates noip.com every 1/2 hour with my external IP address... i've told the router to forward ports 21-29 to 192.168.0.3 (my linux box)... just tried ftp'ing to 127.0.0.1 and it refused the connection... did try to ftp from the XP box in the other room.. connection refused... i'm *not* running inetd, xinetd, or iptables at all... the only firewall i have is the router itself...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    alright... i can access the server through 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 while sitting at the puter that it's on... when i try to ftp to mytallest.zapto.org or my actual IP address, it refuses connection... i'm thinking this is a problem with the port forwarding on my router... argh...

Linux Guru
    alright... i can access the server through 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 while sitting at the puter that it's on... when i try to ftp to mytallest.zapto.org or my actual IP address, it refuses connection... i'm thinking this is a problem with the port forwarding on my router... argh...
    It may do that if you are BEHIND the router/firewall when you try it... depending on your router of course

I was able to get a connection from my office PC:
    Code:
    jason@simpson:~$ ftp mytallest.zapto.org
    Connected to mytallest.zapto.org.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
    220-You are user number 1 of 16 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 08:22. Server port: 21.
    220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
    220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Name (mytallest.zapto.org:jason):
    ... so it looks like its ok

PureFTPD is a pretty good FTPD IMO, you can also enable privilage seperation (a ./configure option IIRC), which means part of the FTP server runs as a non-privilaged user, leaving minimal code running as root.

Jason

Linux Engineer
    yay! glad it works now... btw, the user/pass to d/l invader zim episodes is:
    user: zim
    pass: gir

i think i have all of them up to season two...

What exactly is Invader Zim? I've heard of it before, just don't know what it is about.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    it's a cartoon nickelodeon airs (sometimes)... it's freakin' hilarious... zim is a screw-up alien that thinks he's the best of his race... dib is the only one that knows what zim really is... gir is zim's retarded robot evil sidekick type thing... jsut download episode 101 from my ftp.... it's funny as hell.. i was surprised they show it to kids, though... it's twisted...

it's a cartoon nickelodeon airs (sometimes)... it's freakin' hilarious... zim is a screw-up alien that thinks he's the best of his race... dib is the only one that knows what zim really is... gir is zim's retarded robot evil sidekick type thing... jsut download episode 101 from my ftp.... it's funny as hell.. i was surprised they show it to kids, though... it's twisted...
    IP address would be nice

Linux Guru
    mytallest.zapto.org

the user/pass to d/l is:
    user: zim
    pass: gir
    Jason