Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys. Here in a couple of days I'm going to be getting my parts for a Mini-itx machine. I'm going to be setting this machine up as a web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mini-itx web server, recomend a distro?

Hey guys. Here in a couple of days I'm going to be getting my parts for a Mini-itx machine. I'm going to be setting this machine up as a web server. I'm going with the VIA EPIA ME6000 Fanless Motherboard. So far I'm looking to run Apache, PHP, MySQL, SSH, FTP, and like IPtables and Snort. However, I'm still no guru when it comes to Linux. I started with Red Hat, then Suse, and now i'm using Ubuntu, which I really like btw.

So I'm trying to find a good server distro for this machine. I'm going to be running the server in command line mode. I was reading something like the Mini-itx arch has issues running a 386 or 686 based distro, I can't remember exactly which. I was thinking about running Ubuntu, just because I really like the apt-get of Debian.

If anyone has any advice for me on a good distro for the mini-itx arch I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    if you are going for a cli only server with those apts you may want to check out one of the bsds. NetBSD has more ports than many of the others distros and runs pretty lightweight, plus its ports system, while not as easy to use as apt, should have everything that you would be interested in running on a server. Also the Fedora Core 4 server install will install all of those apts by default, which would make a great ease of use station...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    I've never tried any of the *BSD flavors before. I was checking out the ports list and nothing said VIA directly. I'd be willing to give it a shot however, if it runs well.

To be honest, if you're not going to be fully customizing (or even if you are tbh) it doesn't really matter what distro the server is hosted on IMO. Linux is Linux! I'd reccomend going with a distro you're happy with in CLI. Personally i use SuSE (at the mo) but am looking for a change to host all my stuff elsewhere temporarily, so that i can install gentoo on there. That's just the 2 distro's i've used, and grown to like is why i use them, and i had no problems with what i've been running on them
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Well, really my main concern is getting a distro that will have no issues running on this semi weird arch. I've read about some people having different issues with this.

If you liked Ubuntu, look at other Debian based distros (Or even Debian...if you're up for a learning curve). I say this as my one recommendation for a server is run it a CLI. What's nice to do is to configure it to boot CLI, then configure it using GUI when required. Ubuntu however won't do this without some tweaking.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadey216
    Well, really my main concern is getting a distro that will have no issues running on this semi weird arch. I've read about some people having different issues with this.
    I've been reading some about the Mini-itx, and it seems like you shouldn't have too much trouble, because the arch is still x86.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs