Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a p3 866mhz computer, with a 3.2GB hardrive and 384MB memory. I am going to use it as a server. What is a good nix OS to put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server OS

I have a p3 866mhz computer, with a 3.2GB hardrive and 384MB memory. I am going to use it as a server.

What is a good nix OS to put on this server, I want it to have an easy install, and can configure it to be a server really easy. It can't be to big, not over 1GB because I need to have room on the hardrive to actual hold the server files.

Suggestions?

Not too far off my spec. server - but mine has a bit more hard disk space.

If you want to serve files, you may find that you need more hard disk space, with disk prices so cheap these days, I suggest you get hold of a small-ish (maybe 40 or 60 gigs) and stick it in the machine.

I run Fedora Core 2 on my server, but it's due an upgrade soon.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    The cheapest hardrive is around $50, I don't have that kind of money right now. I found this 3.2GB in a computer on the side of the road, I know it sounds really depressing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    well if you want something that is small and easy to configure, you may want to try sarge, the base install is small and apt will have everything up and running in no time. Fedora is really good as a server distro and everything works really well out of the box, ftp, httpd, sendmail, telnet, etc; however, the install is quite large compared to many other distros...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Quote Originally Posted by combine
    The cheapest hardrive is around $50, I don't have that kind of money right now. I found this 3.2GB in a computer on the side of the road, I know it sounds really depressing.
    Have you looked on ebay? I just took a quick look, someone selling 'buy it now' disks 10Gigs for about 10, thats about $15 and 20Gigs for 15, about $20. They must have similar on ebay's US site? It would certainly solve your space problems.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    I am not a big fan of recomending distributions as everyone has there own particular needs but in your case with the small hdd you could look into trying Trustix
    its small, easy to install and configure and should do what you want it to do,

you can't be scared of reading though EVERY EVERY EVERY distributions and application requires reading of man pages and online documentation

www.trustix.net

Luma

I too, am not fond of just recommending a distro, as we have a tendency to give more input on personal preferences, but...

With that said, I think a minimal install of Slackware 10.1 or 10.2, without KDE (or Gnome), would suit you quite well. After installation, most, if not all of the server apps you will likely need are ready to go out of the box, just have to enable them through config files...

Slack gives you a solid, yet minimal install and is perfect for about any server...that would be my choice with your specs, and I think the install ends up being just around 1 gig without one of the larger desktop managers...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!

SO OS :D

The best recomendation of my is Debian(Sarge)
    really easy to install and stuff was
    up and running in 2.5 hours,
    took 500-600 mbs of space.
    Really fast LAMP server!
    Uptime 1 month already no problems!
    if u optimize it I can say for sure probebly it would be 300-500mbs.
    php works really fast as the rest of the server!!!

SerJ.

PS - 3.2gbs is more then anough!!!
    For simple server!