Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
mine looks very similar to yours, however on listen I have just Code: Listen *:80 try that and then make sure you "service httpd reload"...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

mine looks very similar to yours, however on listen I have just

Code:
    Listen *:80
    try that and then make sure you "service httpd reload"
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    where it says servername should that be his internal IP as it is?

Just Joined!
    I did as you said and no go.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDan
    where it says servername should that be his internal IP as it is?
    I changed that for the external IP, stopped and started apache. Nothing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    *BUMP!*

No solutions? Come on, you people are my only hope. There must be someone who knows what I'm doing wrong with the configuration. BIG BIG Thank You in advance.

Just Joined!

Router?

-
    How are you connected to the internet? Is it a DSL connection? If it is, and you are using the ethernet port on the DSL router/modem, then by default your apache server box is probably behind the router (using a private internal address). Find out if you have a combination DSL/router/modem (or the cable equivalent).

For example, with my Bellsouth DSL setup, Bellsouth gave me a DSL/router/modem ... (It is both a modem and a router). If I use the single ethernet tap on the DSL/router/modem (It's a Westell model) then by default I am behind the DSL/router/modem with my computer plugged into that port. If I plug into the USB port on the Westell DSL/router/modem, then I am NOT behind the router, and by default the IP assigned to my machine will be the public IP assigned to me by Bellsouth.

Different DSL/router/modems have different defaults, depending upon make and model. You should download the instruction manual and even the tech manual for the router that you are using to be sure that you are doing the correct things.

For instance, with my Bellsouth Westell setup, I can use the ethernet tap, and set up port forwarding so that the ethernet tap can be used for a web server machine. In order to set it up, I type http://192.168.1.254 into the browser of my machine. I then can see the "setup page" that is generated by the mini-web server that resides within the firmware inside of the Westell DSL/router/modem. That setup page allows me to create a port forwarding scenario if I desire.

The configuration won't be exactly the same for all DSL or Cable Router/Modems, which is why you should jot down the make and model of your particular device, and do some googling to find out where you stand.

BTW: Some setup pages are hardcoded to 192.168.1.1 and some to 172.16.1.1 and some to 172.16.1.254, etc, etc. In any case, the manual should give you the information that you need.

BTW: Bellsouth discourages the use of the USB port, because it leaves the connected computer wide open to the internet (No filtering at all). I would use the ethernet port and whatever setup was needed on the particular hardware to enable the port-forwarding of the http traffic, or I might use DMZ (if I felt that I could harden it), What you do depends upon your security requirements and your security expertise. If you have nothing of value on your machine, and are just experimenting, then maybe it's not a big deal. Caveat Emptor!

Many of the router/modem combos have the so-called DMZ mode, which allows *one* computer on your ethernet LAN side of the router to be *very* exposed in the same way that the USB port is. This approach has pros and cons, and you should be familiar with what these are (more googling required) ...

On one hand, having the web server off of the local LAN subnet (as in DMZ) means that it is somewhat more difficult to wreak havok on the multiple-host LAN via a web server exploit, because the DMZ'ed server is not on the LAN subnet. On the other hand, the server itself is exposed to all the wrath of the internet when it is DMZed (a very substantial security risk). In a newbie setup, it is more likely that a DMZ'ed machine would be compromised more quickly than a machine to which packets were fowarded, and for this reason many people use the port-forwarding approach. If you have only one machine, then there is no multiple-machine LAN to worry about, and you should go with port forwarding.

With either approach, you should consider a separate firewall if it is not built into your hardware, and multiple firewalls for a multi-computer LAN. You should study all of the various approaches, determine what your security requirements are, and go with the route that you are most comfortable with.

These basic tenets apply to many of the DSL and Cable modems that are currently in use. While I have been going on and on and on about my particular hardware configuration, you should be able to map the aforementioned ideas almost on a one for one basis with other modem makes and models.

One last note:

I noticed that your apache configuration file has the private address (10....) instead of the public address (83....). If you are using the port-forwarding technique, then you should set your apache configuration to use the private address. If you are using the DMZ technique, then you should set your apache configuration to use the public IP address. Note that if you don't set the IP address in the apache config file to anything, then apache will glom onto the address of your machine. Lastly, if your DSL or Cable box has no built-in router (a rarity these days) and uses bridged ethernet, then use the public address in the configuration file.

- Regards,

- rleesBSD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3