Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a server running Redhat Enterprise 3.0 and I did not install sendmail, not that I know of anyways lets say I use php to send email (in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

smtp server

Hello,

I have a server running Redhat Enterprise 3.0 and I did not install sendmail, not that I know of anyways
    lets say I use php to send email (in a script) it will not get sent, I have not clue where it goes.

I would like to install a smtp server that is safe and secure.
    the main purpose of this would be to use as outgoing server for me as my isp blocks port 25 now so I can't use my hosting provider's email server to send email. as well as to allow php to send email (a forum for example that has email functions)

the main features I really need is security, I don't want some punks sending 300000 emails per day using my server. I don't want to allow relaying, I don't want to allow non authenticated users to send email.

I guess it would have to allow localhost to send email without authentication but everyone else including 192.168.0.X users would have to authenticate to send email, easy to do in outlook or other clients so this would work.

any recomendations?

thank you

Luc

Linux Engineer
    http://www.sendmail.org/

Should do the trick

As for authentication are you using a forum like phpBB?
    Please provodide a little more info on how this will be setup
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

I will be using it for alot of scripts. for example on my website I have a form to contac tme, this form calls up a php file that sends me an email. on my server it don't work but on my hosting server it does.
    the reason it don't work on my server is that I dont' run any smtp servers as I am scared to run one and have folks use it to send spam. so I want to protect it after its installed.

the forum I use is phpbb2 but I also use others.

Thank you much

Luc

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    If im not mistaken, phpBB doesnt require an SMTP server as it connects dirently to the sockets (you can alternativly use another port (25)) my ISP blocks port 25 and I've simply chosen another one...

Not sure if that helps...
    Simply post whatever other question you might have..
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    well phpbb2 uses localhost as its default mail server or you can enter details for another smtp server if you don't have one on localhost

so phpbb2 will try to use localhost to send the email and in my case well there are no local smtp servers (why I want to find one that I can secure and use for myself)

also for example a form script that sends an email with the info entered into the form.
    I will paste the actual form later as right now am in a training class at work

Luc

Just Joined!
    ok here is the script as an example (summary of what I need to do below)

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="php">
    $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
    $mailto = "email@domain.com";
    $mailsubj = "webform from $name";
    $mailhead = "From: $email\n";
    reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
    $mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form:\n";
    while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {
    $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n"; }
    mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead);
    </SCRIPT>

this script will send an email to email@domain.com using the localhost mail server from the server the script resides on.

so what I need to do is have a smtp server that:
    allows scripts like this to send email
    allows me and a few users to use the smtp server to send email
    -must be secure, no relaying and must require authentication unless the request is comming from localhost for example

etc

thank you

Luc