Find the answer to your Linux question:
i was wandering which packages i should install during installation. or would i be better off jst goin with a base install and then installing everything else i need as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

slackware 9.1 as a server

i was wandering which packages i should install during installation. or would i be better off jst goin with a base install and then installing everything else i need as i go.

i dont know if you guys know which would be best but i thought i would ask and if you know what packages to install could you list the ones i should put on during the installation of slack. thanks. this is goin to be my web server that i will have apache, mysql, and sendmail running on. i will also be hosting MUDs prolly. thanks guys.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Normally for servers i do a minumal install and add packages as and when i need them. Ive always found this a good aproce Good Luck.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Man
    Normally for servers i do a minumal install and add packages as and when i need them. Ive always found this a good aproce Good Luck.
    I totally agree, do a base/minimal install, all your core apps, eg apache, SSHD etc should be compiled from hand afterwards.

Jason

alright thanks guys.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Linux User
    Heck, for anything having to do with servers or programming, i do a full install of all packages. Seems like less headaches to me. I have httpd,sendmail,ftp,telnet, and a game server i run all start at boot, and the load time is still minimal.

Why wouldn't ya want to install them all?

well i decided to jst do a minimal install and then i can compile everything else so it will be more optimized to my system.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightMare
    Heck, for anything having to do with servers or programming, i do a full install of all packages. Seems like less headaches to me. I have httpd,sendmail,ftp,telnet, and a game server i run all start at boot, and the load time is still minimal.

Why wouldn't ya want to install them all?
    Sometimes the "default" install's are fine, BUT when installing from CD, it is highly likely that some of the packages are out of date, or have known security issues.

Also, sometime you need a particular application compiled with a particular switch or something extra enabled, or sometimes you want to make a mod to the code before you compile.

For example, I always make changes to the apache code to modify the "Server: " HTTP response line.

Jason

Linux User
    aint that in /etc/apache/httpd.conf ??

Reason i like to do full install's of Servers and all programming packages is so that i dont have to chase down dependancies later.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightMare
    aint that in /etc/apache/httpd.conf ??

Reason i like to do full install's of Servers and all programming packages is so that i dont have to chase down dependancies later.
    If you use a proper distro you dont have problems with deps And full install is wasteful. But i guess if you have the disk space and dont let uneeded services run.

Linux User
    Hmm, actually i got in the habit of doing that when i was trying out different distros,like Redhat,Mandrake, etc...

Now that i use Slackware, i probably dont need to do that anymore.
    I have the following load at boot.

Httpd
    Ftp
    telnet
    login
    talk
    ntalk
    pop3
    finger (actually this is a opps, thought i disabled that)

I think thats a full install aint it?

I use them all though, but i guess most people probably don't need all these. And of course, the more ports ya have open, the greater your security risk.

Hmm, i just made ya'lls point.... What was mine again?