Find the answer to your Linux question:
I Have a server with Fedora Core 4, squid proxy, iptables, dovecot (was pop3), sendmail, openwebmail, etc. On my LAN all works great... but can't check external servers for mail. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't check external mail through my server

I Have a server with Fedora Core 4, squid proxy, iptables, dovecot (was pop3), sendmail, openwebmail, etc.

On my LAN all works great... but can't check external servers for mail.

On a client (windows) i do a ping to the server and i get response with good conection...
    100% packets ok.

but if i do a telnet to the same external server.... my server respond the query.... not the server what i'm try to get data...

telnet mail.external.net 110
    -> +OK Dovecot Ready....

i'm missing something in the iptables??
    i do a echo 1>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

there is a special chain to add to iptables to forward the trafic fomr port 25 and 110 if the address don't match my server?

Thanks in advance!!

Is your server behond a router? If so then you would have to forward ports to your linux box. If you don't then requests form the outside world will be dropped.

Just Joined!
    My server linux have 2 ethernet cards.... the request from outside can be served like webserver, sendmail, etc... (have static ip)

but if i am a client of my server (LAN)... i can't check another mail, only my internal mail with the outlook...

(client) <----> (serverinternal) <-----> (another server)
    packed to another..------>>|

if i configure a second acount on the outlook (an external one).. only ,my sendmail respond... cant reach the external mail server...

like i wrote before...
    telnet server.external.net 110
    > internat.server.net ok... (responding and not the external one.)

ping to the external server is ok. 100% packed ok

how can i forward that packed if both servers use ports 25 and 110? my server (internal) and another external server (any server...)???