Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Samba 2.2.7 a on a Red Hat LInux 9. The server seems to be running fine. I can access everything on the server. The problem is when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing a samba server from the network

I am running Samba 2.2.7 a on a Red Hat LInux 9. The server seems to be running fine. I can access everything on the server.

The problem is when I try to access this server from a PC running XP. When I open workgroup computers, the samba server shows up on the Windows PC. But I cannot click on it and open it. I am told that I have no rights and there are no services running on the destination server. Obviously smbd and nmbd are running. It won't come up and ask me for a passwrod or something. I have setup 4 samba users on the server with passwords.

I have a simplle SMB.conf file and am only trying to access a share directory to start with but I am not able to get to first base.

Can anyone help ?

Srini

The problem is probably one of password access. You need to either set up samba to use encrypted passwords, or set windows XP to provide plain text passwords. Either way, set each user's password on the linux machine to match their windows one.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/