Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have debian 3.1 with apache 2, php4 and MySql running OK. i have trouble figuring out the mysql usernames and passwords. now i use root to connect to mysql ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mysql newbie questions...

I have debian 3.1 with apache 2, php4 and MySql running OK.

i have trouble figuring out the mysql usernames and passwords.

now i use root to connect to mysql database. is root the root user of my linux or is it just root user of mysql database? using root sounds a bit scary

how do i create new user for mysql use so i don't have to use root?

its the root user of your mysql, they are seperate.

if you are not to cozy with mysql then try phpmyadmin, it requires apache and php but is the best 'gui' for mysql in my opinion

Linux Newbie
    when you first get MySQL its root account has no password. i suggest you read up on making users and setting permissions (not for your computer, but for MySQL.. mysql accounts are separate from your computers'). a good google search oughtta do the trick. i use phpmyadmin and it work beautifully after getting it set-up correctly.

Just Joined!
    yes yes.. now i start to know something..

how can i set the mysgl server that i can connect to it from other computer that i could edit/create databases?

my debian server is minimal so i don't have X installed on it. so i want to use my win XP to manage the mysql databases. is it possible?

and where is documentation for mysql? README file says that it's in non-free package mysql-doc but i can't find such file.

I would try the above, install apache+php and then get phpmyadmin and you can administer your mysql from any machine that can access your mysql machine

if you are using debian, then apt-get install php and it will install apache and php and then just download phpmyadmin

Just Joined!
    i have php and apache installed on debian system. but i read somewhere that only localhost (my linux computer) has access to mysql.

i just can't find any info that tells me what i need to configure so that outside computers can access my server. now it can only be accessed locally.

but if you have phpmyadmin running over apache, then its hitting mysql thru localhost. you only need outside access for mysql if you have a database app or something that is on another machine. to manage it you don't need access in the way you are talking about.

another tool is webmin, IMO not as good for mysql but still works to manage it.

Just Joined!
    thanks jledhead! Now i that i have installed phpmyadmin and played around with it i start to understand your earlier advises a bit more..
    But hey.. been using linux for about 2 weeks so i might sound be a bit.. well, noobish