Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
to be able to login from a local machine remove the comment from the line localenable=YES, you'll see it in there...plus you do want anonymous logins right, because that is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

to be able to login from a local machine remove the comment from the line localenable=YES, you'll see it in there...plus you do want anonymous logins right, because that is the only login that you have enabled...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Sorry but I still dont know how to edit it. I says its read only.

Linux Engineer
    it is, you have to be root to edit it...so either open up a root terminal or use sudo from a regular terminal and fire up your favorite editor...

Just Joined!
    Remove the comment? Dont I just change no to yes or yes to no?

Linux Engineer
    ok, now if there is a # in front of the line it is a commented line and will not be read by the program, so if you remove the # it becomes a line read by the program...so you have to remove the comment in front of the line to enable local users to login, also if the anonymous user login is there and uncommented simply change the yes to a no...then you have to reload the program for the new settings to take effect...do this with two commands as root

/etc/init.d/vsftpd stop
    /etc/init.d/vsftpd start

now you should be able to ftp to local host, or the router ip of the particular box, or someone outside your network can ftp to your ip...remember to have port forwarding set up correclty though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2