Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I need to have a warm standby server, so I need any users setup on one machine (and then its ftp accounts and ssh logons and so on) automatically ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sync of Users and directorys

Hi

I need to have a warm standby server, so I need any users setup on one machine (and then its ftp accounts and ssh logons and so on) automatically copied across, I have looked at NIS but there home website is rather confusing and I am hoping there is something better?? anybody got any pointers on the best way to do it...

Also I was thinking of using rsync to replicate some directorys and so on, is this the best way to go???

There is a good chance I am looking at this wrong, any help would be great.

Note: to give more information, I have 2 servers and if one falls over I will just change the IP's and people can then connect directly to the new server, they should then be able to connect to the new machine using the same username and passwords and drop files off into the same directorys.
    When the other machine is then brought back online (booted up off the network to change IP again) this must then be configured to be the warm server... make sense???

Ta

NIS will let you have a master password server and a slave, so it might help here - one set of user accounts using yppush to keep the slave updated with any changes.

rsync is the way to go with keeping directories in sync on seperate machines. I've never used it (I've only got one server) but it should be quite efficient (it only sends changes over the network, not whole filesystems). It will take some configuring, but, having looked at its man page, it seems like it could be worth the time spent. It will also copy in both directions, so if your main server is offline, it can be updated from the secondary server automatically too (i.e. all the updates, in either direction from the same machine).

You should be able to configure the DNS servers on both machines to handle any server dropout automatically too!
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answer, looks like those two are the ones to go for then.

What did you mean on the last line about the DNS????

Ta

DNS is Domain Name Service - it turns names like www.slashdot.com into ip addresses.

'Cos you have 2 servers, you can run DNS on 'em both, and have them both point, say 'server' to their own IP address, then tell all the clients that the main server is the 'primary' dns, and the other server the 'secondary', then when they look for the server on the lan, they'll normally get the main server, unless it's not there, in which case they'll get the secondary one.

And it doesn't really matter if they get the secondary server by mistake, 'cos you're using rsync to keep the filesystems on both servers in sync.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/