Find the answer to your Linux question:
All, I am relatively new to the Linux world. I have recently inherited a couple of Linux servers at my job. The server in question is running Red Hat 7.3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows XP problems with Samba 2.2.4

All,
    I am relatively new to the Linux world. I have recently inherited a couple of Linux servers at my job. The server in question is running Red Hat 7.3 with Samba 2.2.4. It is having trouble sharing with Windows XP. I ggogled it and the only thing that came up was a plain password problem in XP. I changed the registry to allow the plain text passwords but the XP boxes are still haing issues... Any ideas. (I want to upgrade the RH7.2 and Samba when I get more comfortable with Linux, but I do need to figure something out for now...)

Linux Newbie
    Upgrade to Samba 3.0.xx, you´re using a version of somewhere 2002. Goto

http://www.samba.org

If you´re using Debian or debian like distro use:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

or apt-get install samba
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

As you're running RedHat 7.3 you're going to find any kind of support poor at best. You really need to get upgraded, perhaps consider RedHat Enterprise Linux, which is from the same stable and should be a straight upgrade.

As far as upgrading Samba goes, it's going to be tricky. You cant really use the built-in update system (yum or up2date) 'cos RedHat dont support this system any more. You might be able to get updates from http://fedoralegacy.org, they've officially stopped doing updates for RH version 8 and earlier, so you wont get any latest bugfixes. They have a docs page telling you how to configure yum on RH7.x, I'd start there.

If they have no updated version of samba available, you'll probably need to go to samba.org and download a binary rpm version for redhat, and try to use that. If you keep your samba config directory, you should have no problems with an upgrade. The file format for the config files hasn't changed in ages.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Is there any to get it to work without upgrading Samba? This server has tons of stuff running on it that I cannot afford to crash...

On the other hand, is Samba a passive upgrade? Will it require a reboot or need other items that may cause the server to go down?

Require a reboot? Are you kidding?

Welcome to Linux - you're upgrading a service, not the operating system. There is no need to reboot to install a new version of samba.

You should be able to safely do:

service samba stop

to turn off the service, upgrade it as necessary, and start it again with

service samba start

You should even find that your smb.conf file is still every bit as valid as it was previously. As far as samba itself goes, I believe it's pretty self-contained, I dont think you'll have to upgrade anything other than the samba service itself.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    That rocks!!!

I will file a change managment request and see if it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Just Joined!

samba server

I can´t see the samba server from my XP boxes. I have samba-3.0.10-1.fc3, I have set the shares, the workgroup, I shut the firewall, both in the linux and XP boxes, but I still can´t see the server in the network environment. A search in the XP by name fails, but I can find the Linux server by its IP address. If I double click, it asks for user - password, but it doesn't accept the user password pair, even if I connect to the XP box with an existing user in the linux machine.