Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I have mandrake10.1 running MySQL and I can't connecto to it from the net. I'm trying to get a program in Visual basic to see the server and login ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MySQL Help needed

Ok I have mandrake10.1 running MySQL and I can't connecto to it from the net. I'm trying to get a program in Visual basic to see the server and login to use a database. I need to know where I can go to look at the config file for the port. I have my users setup for it and they all work but everytime I try to login from the net it tells me that 1 it doesnt exist or access denied. I'm new to MySQL so I'm winging it. I'm soo lost right now. I've been on google for the past 2 hours and havent really found anything of use. I know how to get VB to see the server but it just wont allow me access to it. Any help or ideas on what may be wrong would be great. Thanks. If you need more info please tell me what would help and also what command to use in the command line for it. Still learning the ins and outs.

You can connect to your SQL server from the local machine but not from the LAN, yes? Is this a firewall issue on the machine acting as database server? Check that SQL network access is allowed to that machine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Well I don't have firewall on for the box I have it behind a Cisco router and have port 3306 open as I was told that was the port. I need to beable to get to it from the internet. The program I have built for it is going to be used by 22 dif people in other countries.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    When I try to conect to my server from my windows box I get this.

Unable to connect to server "myservername":

Server: Msg 17, level16, state 1
    [Microsift][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access is denied.

I have my user setup and I can login localy but if I try to from the internet it wont work. Even on the Lan I get this same error. Am I missing something?

my my.cnf file looks like this
    Code:
    [mysqld]
    port=1433
    basedir=/var/lib
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

# Default to using old password format for compatibility with old and
    # shorter password hash.
    # Reference: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html
    old_passwords=1

[mysql.server]
    port=1433
    user=mysql
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld_safe]
    err-log=/var/log/mysqld/mysqld.log
    pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
    is there another conf file I need to edit?
    I'm a total noob to MySQL.

scm
    Linux Engineer
    Your earlier post says you've got port 3306 open, but your my.cnf file specifies port 1433, which is the M$ SQL Server port. Shouldn't your firewall be allowing 1433?

Just Joined!
    Ya I noticed that and changed it all but just incase I have both ports open.