Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I have a machine running FC4 and I've configured my /etc/exports like so... Code: [dan@fedoraserver ~]$ cat /etc/exports /home/dan 192.168.2.17(rw,insecure,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash) /home/dan 192.168.2.13(rw,insecure,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash) First, I can mount the shares just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

NFS...again

So I have a machine running FC4 and I've configured my /etc/exports like so...

Code:
    [dan@fedoraserver ~]$ cat /etc/exports
    /home/dan 192.168.2.17(rw,insecure,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash)
    /home/dan 192.168.2.13(rw,insecure,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash)
    First, I can mount the shares just fine on my Kubuntu machine (.17) and on my OSX machine (.13)

However, I cannot write to them on either machine. On my Kubuntu machine. my username and password are exactly the same as my server...interesting since rw is specified in my exports file..

Secondly, how can I use just one entry for my whole network..something like 192.168.2.1-40 or whatever the wildcard entry is..

Thank youu

Linux Guru
    This is my exports entry for a partition on my server that I can write to from either of my workstations:
    Code:
    /var/www/html/Reference/share   192.168.128.80/28(rw,no_root_squash)
    The IP address is my network/bits-of-the-netmask. There's a name for that format, but I can't recall it. The directory (/var/www/html/Reference/share) is set with permissions of 1777 (probably should be 1666) so the "sticky bit" (1) is set. I'm not sure that I even need the (rw,no_root_squash) for this to work. I wasted a lot of time trying (I found) to make the set up too complicated.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    Local permissions on the server. Dur..

what would the best way to share a home dir using NFS..I don't really want to 777 my home dir on it..

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by aimstolemylife
    what would the best way to share a home dir using NFS..I don't really want to 777 my home dir on it..
    744? 740 with group "sharers"? But if you create a group that needs to be correctly understood from both server and client, I guess you need to be careful that they have the same gid or else you could run NIS. (with emphasis on guess...)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by aimstolemylife
    744? 740 with group "sharers"? But if you create a group that needs to be correctly understood from both server and client, I guess you need to be careful that they have the same gid or else you could run NIS. (with emphasis on guess...)
    It is beneficial to run NIS if you're sharing /home between two machines -that way you have only one set of users and accounts to worry about administration for, and you dont have to keep things manually in sync between the two.

See the man pages for yp and ypserv.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux User
    you could try and run ldap if you want to the challange since i know it will work on the mac and a linux system
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

NFS doesn't give a flip about usernames or passwords. The ONLY things NFS cares about are uid and gid numbers. Each user has a uid number; each group has a gid number.

Different Linux distributions tend to use different default uid numbers for their normal user accounts.

So, for example, let's say you've got two machines running Debian named "myserver" and "myclient". On "myserver", user 1001 is named "freddie"; on "myclient" user 1001 is named "mechazawa". If "mechazawa" logs onto "myclient", then he CAN access the files owned by "freddie" on "myserver". The funny thing is, that as far as "mechazawa" and "myclient" are concerned, those files are owned by "mechazawa"! As far as "myserver" is concerned, the user which is accessing files is "freddie".

In order to ensure that every machine has the same userids, uid, gid, and passwords, you need to set up yp (yellow pages).
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    In order to ensure that every machine has the same userids, uid, gid, and passwords, you need to set up yp (yellow pages).
    What you say sounds great. I tried doing NIS, reading several tutorials and other references, but it was really hard to follow since apparently everything I read wanted to address all the issues of an elaborate system. Is there a "boiled down" tutorial somewhere that might make things easier to get started, that you know of?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux User
    i know the gentoo site has a simple ldap guide
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Newbie
    Well I took the lazy way out...chmod 777 to a different dir on the harddisk...It seems to work alright that way too

thanks for all the replys and help though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast