Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could anyone pls help me how to deal with this kind of error? getgrnam failed for$Enabling swap space This always appear everytime I boot my machine and its really bothering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getgrnam failed for$Enabling swap space

Could anyone pls help me how to deal with this kind of error?

getgrnam failed for$Enabling swap space

This always appear everytime I boot my machine and its really bothering me.

Iam using RH 9.0 running in text mode. My machine has 2048 MB of swap. 2x of my RAM.

Thanks in advance.

lower your swap space i know some distros have a limit plus with a gig of ram id just use 1Gb swap.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Man
    lower your swap space i know some distros have a limit plus with a gig of ram id just use 1Gb swap.
    My server, used to be running without this error, only when my server was illegally shutdown.

Should this be the real sol'n?

Linux User
    IIRC, the limit for swap space is 4GB (or at least is was back in RH6).

I agree with Ol Man that 1GB of swap is probably enough, but I don't see why using 2 would give you an error...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

I really don't see the need for swap when you have so much ram either, only thing I can think of when its needed that much if you're going to do heavy rendering and stuff..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    I really don't see the need for swap when you have so much ram either, only thing I can think of when its needed that much if you're going to do heavy rendering and stuff..
    I am running many services on this particular machine. Apache, ftp, Squid etc. Wouldn't my machine need much swap space? I have read some stuff that suggests 2x of your RAM (in my case I have 1GB of RAM) for your swap makes you machine more optimized.

Any comments? And isn't it possible that improper shutdown has caused this error?

You can have swap space, but it isnt really needed. When the 2x ram = swap space rule was generally used, was some years back when computers didnt have as much ram as today, it could be useful to have have 2x swapspace on computers that have 32/64 mb of ram, not when you have 1 gig of ram. I have 256 mb of ram, and 256 mb of swap space, and when I have had some compiling, setiathome and watching a video in mplayer it hasnt even touched my swap space.

I'm not saying that you don't need swap space, it can be useful but using 2 gig on swap is just a waste, and you also have the memory buffer that stores takes up some ram, but thats just a good thing.

Oh, and I think that its squid thats causing the problems, can you try to remove it from the startup script and reboot and check for any similar error messages?

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys for your help. Now, I know better.