Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm relativly new to linux, and I have Gentoo on my server (it's acting as a fileserver at the moment). I would like to setup a mail account on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mail server

Hey, I'm relativly new to linux, and I have Gentoo on my server (it's acting as a fileserver at the moment). I would like to setup a mail account on it, I don't want to go through my ISP or anything. I was wondering if there were any good walkthroughs or documents for setting this up?

Thank You

unless you have your own domain or already host your own mail server, you will need to go to someone else to provide the part after the @

you can't just create an email account without owning a domain

You really need a static IP address if you want to host your own mailserver. It can be done with dynamic, but a static IP will be much easier to manage. You also need to leave the box up, so you need to be prepared for that, too.

Sendmail is the de-facto standard for email - and I've found it quite easy to configure (following the guidelines on sendmail.org), and is utterly reliable. Mine's been running for 18 months now , and I never touch it these days.

This is Linux, though, so there are other mail transport agents around you could use.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/