Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok guys I have been trying for days to get postfix setup for my personal company and have had no luck. I wanted to try and do this with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Postfix headache

ok guys I have been trying for days to get postfix setup for my personal company and have had no luck. I wanted to try and do this with no help but I need some now as I'm stuck.

this is my /etc/postfix.main.cf

Code:
    # These are only the parameters changed from a default install
    # see /etc/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, fuller version of this file.

# These are changed by postfix install script
    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/README_FILES
    sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/samples
    html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.1.5/html
    sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
    setgid_group = postdrop
    command_directory = /usr/sbin
    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
    daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
    newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix
    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
    queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
    mail_owner = postfix

# User configurable parameters
    mydomain = pwnedcomputers.net
    myorigin = $mydomain
    myhostname = mail.$mydomain
    mydestination = 207.189.114.70
    inet_interfaces = localhost, $myhostname
    mynetworks_style = host
    delay_warning_time = 4h
    smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) (Mandrakelinux)
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450
    smtp-filter_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
    lmtp-filter_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
    smtpd_sasl_path = /etc/postfix/sasl:/usr/lib/sasl2
    My issue is I can ping the server and I have the ports on my firewall opened but I can't send or reciev mail. I can localy but I can't do it from the outside. I have even gone as far as removing my firewall to make sure it was not a firewall issue. I'm using Mandriva 10.1 and have been reading The Book Of Postfix by Ralk Hildebrandt and Patrick Koetter and have gotten this far. I also would like to know how to set up my Outlook to get my mail off this server.

Thanks for all the help guys I am totaly lost but don't want to give up.

Linux User
    the reverse lookup on 207.189.114.70 is not setup.. I would get that taken care of .. Without a ReverseDNS entry configured I don't care if your server is working or not, MY mail server will not accept mail from you if it can't do a rdns lookup on your mailserver name.. this is not the source of your problem but it is something you should address.

asking ns2.fortix.net. for 70.114.189.207.in-addr.arpa PTR record: Reports that no PTR records exist [from 207.189.98.38].
    Answer:
    No PTR records exist for 207.189.114.70. [Neg TTL=1800 seconds]

By Locally do you mean send mail on the mail server itself, or do you mean to and from computers on your internal network ?

To configure Outlook you would need to set it up to fetch mail via POP3 or IMAP depending on WHICH ONE (or both) that you installed and configured on your server.. did you install CYRUS IMAP or COURIER IMAP ? I run Courier on my mailserver in conjunction with Postfix. Courier provides IMAP, POP3, and Web mail for my mail server.

If you have a firewall, (firewall on the linux box, or an external firewall like a PIX or Fortigate , linksys router.... ?) is the IP of the mail server interface the public one ? My postfix mailserver is behind a firewall and uses a private IP address and that entry is configured under:
    proxy_interfaces = 172.16.1.2 the Firewall NAT's the public IP and redirects traffic on the POP and SMTP ports to the Private IP of the mail server in the Firewall DMZ...

might want to check your mydestinations setting, this is the list of domains your server will receive mail for.. currently you have it set to only receive mail from a single IP. and not a particular domain..
    mydestination = $mydomain $myhostname localhost.$mydomain
    This could be part of teh reason why you can only send and receive mail on the mail server itself..

Mynetworks.. this is my configuration, to accept mail from the internal network (192.168.0.x) and the firewall connection in the 172.16.1.x subnet .
    mynetworks = 172.16.1.0/24, 192.168.0.0/24
    I have to trust someone other than the local machine and the local subnet in order to get mail from outside.. in this case I an trusting the subnet of my firewall DMZ and my Internal network..
    Specify "mynetworks_style = host" when Postfix should "trust" only the local machine.

I would suggest you sign up for the postfix mail list, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS for posting a question especially the details about information you need to provide. This list is VERY active, and if you provide the proper info and ask your questions right you should get excellent support from this list. I was actually able to get all my issues resolved just by lurking and reading posts and answers from other people..

You never know your question just may be answered by Ralph or even Wietse himself.. .. http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

Good luck !!
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Cool thanks I'll sign up for the list. Also I did not know I needed another program along with postfix to run pop3 and IMAP. Where can I get the one you use?

Linux User
    Mandriva.. can't you use urpmi to obtain packages ? http://www.mandrakehelp.com/RPM-HOWTO.html

urpmi courier-imap courier-pop3 courier-maildrop courier-sqwebmail

that example may be pretty clos, but you should query to make sure you get the names right an all thepackages you nwant/need

urpmq courier should list the available courier packages..

the Courier website is located at: http://www.courier-mta.org/
    far...out