Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i've inherited a gentoo mail/LDAP server and need some help with it. i didn't have anything to do with setting this up and don't have a lot of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LDAP won't work on gentoo

hi all, i've inherited a gentoo mail/LDAP server and need some help with it. i didn't have anything to do with setting this up and don't have a lot of experience with it. it was working until hurricane wilma, when we shut it down because we expected water/power outages. when bringing it back up, i was able to get the mail services running, but ldap won't start. when i do /etc/init.d/slapd start it just responds with [!!]. i 've tailed the everything log and notice this:

Nov 3 09:13:25 [authdaemond.plain] PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_ldap.so)
    Nov 3 09:13:25 [authdaemond.plain] PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_ldap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
    Nov 3 09:13:25 [authdaemond.plain] PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

when i try to start the service. the same message also pops up in the log ~1/minute.

the file pam_ldap.so doesn't exist on the server at all.

i've read a lot of man pages and message boards, but didn't come up with much. i've tried emerge pam_ldap, but am not sure where to go from here. can anyone offer any advice?

EDIT: when i try to emerge pam_ldap i get the following errors:

Code:
    /usr/share/aclocal/xmms.m4:17: warning: underquoted definition of XMMS_TEST_VERSION
      run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
      or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
    /usr/share/aclocal/xmms.m4:62: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_XMMS
    /usr/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4:36: warning: underquoted definition of AM_OPTIONS_WXCONFIG
    /usr/share/aclocal/wxwin.m4:59: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_WXCONFIG
    /usr/share/aclocal/vorbis.m4:9: warning: underquoted definition of XIPH_PATH_VORBIS
    /usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG/usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: warning: underquoted definition of PKG_CHECK_MODULES
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:202: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS_GUESS_GNUSTEP
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:239: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS_GUESS
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:333: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS_CHECK_LIB
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:405: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS_CHECK_HEADER
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:440: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS_CHECK
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:450: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPS
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:525: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_DPS_NXAGENT
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:558: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PATH_DPSET
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:579: warning: underquoted definition of AC_PROG_PSWRAP
    /usr/share/aclocal/path_dps.m4:172: file `path_dps.m4' does not exist

Just Joined!
    a friend of mine fixed this by correcting group ownership of the slapd.conf file:

> Your slapd.conf was associated with the "root" group, so I just
    > "chgrp ldap /etc/openldap/slapd.conf" and the ldap daemon started up
    > just fine.