Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Read above. I linked to a site ( www.dyndns.com ). Go there and register with them. It's free. You can choose from a variety of domain names. My preference was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Read above. I linked to a site (www.dyndns.com). Go there and register with them. It's free. You can choose from a variety of domain names. My preference was name.homelinux.com, where 'name' is whatever you choose (assuming the name is available). Good luck!

Linux Newbie

help with server

ok il take a look at that page thanks for the info

Just Joined!
    Not a problem. Hope it works. Let us know how it goes!

Linux Newbie

help with server

yea it work thats what i needed a dns. linux don't have a dns can i used the auto ip with the auto dns.

Linux Newbie

help with webpage

yea at this point i can see my page wire and from my remote laptop wireless i dont need to enter my ip address no more. this is how my site name looks like http://namehostname.homelinux.com so im thinking my friend he can't still view it maybe cause its not WWW. world wide web is thats why or is it some thing else in my root dir is save with the WWW cause when i enter it from the same pc like this>>>myhostname.com it reply back as http://www.myhostname.com and i can see it fine or when i enter myhostname.homelinux.com it reply back as http://myhostname.homelinux.com and i can see my page too. notice one of them have only WWW.

Linux Newbie

help with webpage

ok well at this point i got to enter an external ip like 69.257.xxx.xxx not a internal like 192.168.xxx.xxx that why my brother-in-law can't see my webpage. but where do i put the external ip address in the eth0 or do i create a ppp0e or in network config tab dns and host tab or do i change them all.

Linux Newbie

help with webpage

this is some info i got. The problem is that you have set the host to your webserver's internal
    IP address. An IP that begins '192.168.x.x' is always internal, and
    cannot be used to access resources by visitors outside of your network.
    To view your correct -external- IP, please visit:
    http://checkip.dyndns.org:8245
    so how can i do this

Just Joined!
    Go to a terminal and type:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    If I'm not mistaken, that will display all the information you'll need and then some. Under your connection name (dsl0 for me), it'll have a part that says "inet address" or something. That's your internet address. That's the address you need to use for your website. So when you register your dyndns name, use that inet address.

Linux Newbie

help with webpage

yea i know how too get the ip info but where do i place it in network config
    do i need to change the eth0, dns tab, or host tab or all in my route network config there 2 ip address that start with 69.219.x.x and thats the WAN and the LAN which ip do i use

Just Joined!
    You use the wan address...the inet address if you do /sbin/ifconfig ...You don't use 192.168.1.x to talk to a computer outside of your network.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2