Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, I just installed FC4 and all is working properly etc...I am trying to configure samba with my former settings on RH9, but it isnt working...heres my setup: # Global ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Fedora FC4 and Samba - pls help

hello,

I just installed FC4 and all is working properly etc...I am trying to configure samba with my former settings on RH9, but it isnt working...heres my setup:

# Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = myworkgroup
    server string = SambaServer
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*al
    l*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    unix password sync = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    printing = lprng
    browsable = no

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = No
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    browseable = yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = Yes

[public]
    comment = sharedfiles
    path = /home/toks/public
    read only = no
    browsable = yes
    1) "myworkgroup" is the same workgroup that my winxp belongs to.

2)i created a new samba user with "smbpasswd -a toks" and added a password accordingly. This <username> "toks" and <password> are the same users/pass i have on my winXP pc.

3) I log off linux and relog-in with the new username toks and password respectively.....im logged onto both PCs with the same user and pass.

3)i verified that there is a DIR with name as "/toks/public" at /home. I did a chmod 777 on /toks/public....both dirs have the 777 ownership. I su'd into root before i did the chmod command. I also verified that toks was the owner both its home DIR and the public DIR.

4) from my network neighborhood on winxp, i can see the linux server hostname(smallfry) together with my winxp.... clicking on the linux server results in a prompt for a username and password. I enter the username "toks" and the password respectively, yet it still prompts me again.... i see the "connect to smallfry.smallfrydomain.com" at the blue colored top of the prompting page.... pls why is this so?

this "smallfry.smallfrydomain" is the second line in my hosts file, with the first line reading 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost.

ive restarted smb several times, all to no avail.....
    i even did an iptables -F command to make sure no firewall prevents my access into linux.....from the linux server, however, i cant see my winxp pc. note...i can ping back and forth.

pls what am i forgetting?

pls help
    Toks

Probably got nothing to do with your problem, but shouldn't you use:

browseable = yes/no

You could be suffering from new security impositions in the newer samba/smb filesystem.

Try adding this to your [global] section:

hosts allow=192.168. 127.
    security=user

You might also want to consider making sure one or the other machine is the local master in the browser control.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    ah ok, thanks,

i removed all the "browseable = yes/no" in my smb.conf file(4 in number), and added the following: (to the global section)

hosts allow= <my IP on my WinXP>
    security=user
    local master=yes
    I log in onto linux with the same user and pass as im logged into winxp.

I tried to access Linux from WinXP network neighborhood, but i still get prompted for a user and pass. Ok, so i enter the user and pass, and i still get prompted again for a user and pass, with this time, my WinXP computer name is appended to the username i just typed in....miceman\toks....where 'miceman' is my WinXP comptuer name....

pls help
    Toks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    hi again,

Pls i was just googling around, found some info about updating samba etc...I checked the samba version with my FC4 to be samba-3.0.14a-2....same holds for other samba packages installed.

I found some info at:
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/cor...6/Fedora/RPMS/

with some samba versions for Fedora which seem to be higher than mine. I wont know, since the samba packages at the site wasnt FC specific, as in its not stated whether its for FC1/2/3/4.......are the samba versions on this site for FC4? can/is it advisable to update my FC4 packages from here?

I also checked the Fedora package site where i downloaded FC4 from:
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../..........the RPMs on this site are the same as the ones installed on my FC4.

I also checked their update link at:
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/4/i386/
    theres no samba update here.

Another thing....
    How do i use yum to update a specific set of packages? as in whats the command.....yum -y update updates everything on my PC, which takes too much time, besides i wont want to boot up my system later to see that something thats already working isnt working again.

so pls whats the yum command to update a specific package etc: samba

cheers
    Toks

Just Joined!
    Does the user exist in Linux (/etc/passwd) [if not then : adduser xxx then passwd xxx ]

Then after add the user(s) in samba.
    smbpasswd -a User-xxx

then u get prompted to set a password.

Linux Newbie
    hi,

just to share the way i found around the problem, i disabled selinux and enabled access through eth0......all in the network/settings portion...

cheers
    toks