Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got an apache server which keeps crashing when I hit it with a web browser. The log shows: Code: [Mon Nov 28 15:31:50 2005] [notice] child pid 1126 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Apache keeps crashing every time a web page is requested!

Hi, I've got an apache server which keeps crashing when I hit it with a web browser. The log shows:

Code:
    [Mon Nov 28 15:31:50 2005] [notice] child pid 1126 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    This corresponds every time to when I go to it in a browser. I don't know why this is happening and I'm a bit stumped so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me out...

The processes are still there when you ps but it just won't serve a page. It's actually running php as well, but I don't know enough about php(I didn't write it) to know if something is going wrong in that code

1. Try stracing it to see where it crashes
    2. Reinstall Apache

Linux Newbie
    maybe check a log if you have one?

/etc/apache/httpd.conf might show what directory you can find the log.

(if /etc/apache isnt the right directory for you you can do a 'locate httpd.conf')

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've checked the logs, all that's in there is the line above regarding segmentation fault. The apache process is still up and it has a usual few listening processes, but it will no serve out a page. All the pages are php generated I believe, for an application called eGroupware.

I've never used strace, I take it I'll need to install it and then RTM to use it...

We can wait :P