Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am running a network without domain controller with a Suse 9.3 machine used as file server and XP client machines. I have Samba running on the Suse machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connecting to Samba from XP

Hi,

I am running a network without domain controller with a Suse 9.3 machine used as file server and XP client machines.
    I have Samba running on the Suse machine with a few directories shared within the Home directory.
    From the Linux machine I can connect to the XP machines and transfer files Ok.
    From the XP machines I can see the Samba shared folders but logon is alway refused.
    I have tried to use smbpasswd to add users and password, defined valid users and tried to change the security from USER to SHARE (within SWAT) all without success

Could anyone give me a suggestion ?

Linux Newbie
    Don't use SWAT if not needed. Why should you should SWAT?
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    I use SWAT becaue it's a bit more clear than YaST, but the tool should not make any difference, no ?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by JacquesMaeder
    I use SWAT becaue it's a bit more clear than YaST, but the tool should not make any difference, no ?
    to a certain extent yes for more advance configs, for basic configs to be honest not much diferance. Have you got an unix account and have you mapped unix user to the samba credentals.
    Code:
    smbpasswd -a username
    also have you set up the nessisary file permisions on the system with samba
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    I have follwed the recommendation ofteh HowTo at http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/...et-19164-1.htm

As I understand, "cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > smbpasswd" should have copied the unix passwords to the samba passwords.

What do you mean by "also have you set up the nessisary file permisions on the system with samba" ? I have set the acl of the shared directories and in the smb.conf file as:

[shared]
    path = /home/groups/shared
    valid users = jma, spe, ale
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

shoudl I do something more ?

I had this same problem. I had "<basicly> DENIED" messages. So try going to it from the network assigned IP. My samba server was it 192.168.1.34 so I typed \\192.168.1.34 in the address bar to get there and it worked great.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright