Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i got an old computer and id like to turn it into a server... an application server for file storage on the home network a web server for hosting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

setting up a linux server...

so i got an old computer and id like to turn it into a server...

an application server for file storage on the home network
    a web server for hosting files

its an old AMD K9 300 MhZ, so what linux would run well on those circumstances?

for the web server ill have to get apache, i dont want any monitors, keyboards etc. connected to the server so what can i use to get on to it (cpanel, remote desktop?) MySQL?

do i need anything special for network server?

thanks.

i just checked out Damn Small Linux, and damn its small

i think ill try that...

Linux Newbie

Re: setting up a linux server...

Quote Originally Posted by the ex
    do i need anything special for network server?
    Only knowledge of what you are doing.
    Help me getting a Opera licence
    Beginning with debian? -> read THIS!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i know alot about servers and stuff in XP, but i am quite clueless with this...

this would be a breeze with server 2003, but on that box, hahaha no way

Linux Guru
    You don't mention how much RAM you have. I assume you have adequate drive space for any distro. I have a box with a similar processor that worked fine as a server even before I added to it's original 256Mb RAM. I installed Fedora Core 3 on it just because I was familiar with Fedora. It's dog slow in graphics mode (when I'm doing configuration mods) but works great otherwise. It's my gateway/firewall and fileserver for my other 3 machines. While Fedora may not be the best choice, it's not a bad choice. The Fedora install has options for a server setup as well as the usual workstation and minimal setups. While Damn Small has it's place (I'm a fan), it may not be a good choice as a server: I doubt that it has all the services you would want, so you would probably have to find other sources to install ( I could be wrong). Of course, for a server, predictability of performance, even through upgrades, is even more important than in workstations.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux User
    There are some security considerations you may want to take note of before deploying the machine as a server. There are plenty references when googling around and even this forum has a section on Linux Security.

Hope this helps

Tech

i dont acually have the machine in my possesion yet, but i assume its 256 maybe 128, if it is ill upgrade it

Linux User
    Even 64MB will probably work fine albeit very slow. Since MySQL is fairly economical with RAM that will hold up quite well too, but with a database you will likely also want Perl/PHP. It really depends on how much performance and how much scalability you are looking to have. For a home network, if you have the cabling and a router, the distribution will take care of the software and middleware.

Tech

I have almost the same machiene. I used Fedora Core 3 only because of the vast selection of server tools. I found it very easy and it had everything I needed on the fedora core disks (MySQL, PHP, Apache, Samba, VsFTP) and I reccommend webmin to do remote administration. It runs kinda slow, but I am more comfterbile with it than a command line.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    You can run server on 300Mhz machine with the latest Linux distro you choose but you will need to turn off grafical interface X window.

You can doo really bunch of things with that machine since i installed Fedora Core 3 on a 366 Mhz with 64 Mb ram and it is working perfect.

The main thing is what do you exacly want to do on that machine ?

If you want to make a game server you can forget this whole thing but to be a local web server , FTP server , MySQL server , Router , etc you will have no problem at all