Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am experiencing a small problem. When I try to access my SAMBA share, when clicking a share titled "Domain Share" I get a network path not found when browsing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Strange SAMBA Issues

I am experiencing a small problem. When I try to access my SAMBA share, when clicking a share titled "Domain Share" I get a network path not found when browsing via a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine. Then, when I click a folder titled "profiles" I am prompted for a user name and password. Here, I enter the root credentials and am allowed access. Now, once that is complete, when I go back to my "Domain Share" folder, I am allowed full access to the share.

Now my question is this, why won't a mapped drive hold the credentials and network path to the SAMBA share? Why am I prompted for network credentials when attempting to access a system share and not a user defined share? Where am I messing up? Right now, the only way that I can access my "Domain Share" is via the root account and only when I attempt to access a system share am I presented with a security logon screen. Where oh where am I messing this up?

Distro: Open SuSE 10

I will hazard a guess that you have the security level set to "user" in the smb.conf global section. In that case, you will always need to enter a password to access the share.

Now, it is possible you did a smbpasswd -a root, which would allow for root access, but if you do the same for yuor user, by creating a samba user account for yourself i.e. smbpasswd -a your_user_name.

If you don't want passwords, set the security level to "share".
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.