Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i not really in security with linux so i wanted to see if someone can help me and give me some info on some software and a lil demo what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

what can i use to test my server for flaws

i not really in security with linux so i wanted to see if someone can help me and give me some info on some software and a lil demo what it does to test my server for holes

Linux User
    Here's a good resource:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO/

Also check with your distribution how to keep your packages up to date. That would be "yum update" in Fedora/RedHat based distributions.

Also check some threads in the Linux Security section for things some gurus don't even know about.

Hope this helps

Tech

Linux Enthusiast

Re: what can i use to test my server for flaws

Quote Originally Posted by flacko21
    i not really in security with linux so i wanted to see if someone can help me and give me some info on some software and a lil demo what it does to test my server for holes
    technossomy provided a good source which would help you understand the concepts of Linux security. There is alot of software available out there that you can use to check your system(s) for vulnerabilities. There are also Linux distributions built specifically for this purpose, such as Knoppix-STD. Nessus is the vulnerability assessment tool, also included in knoppix-std, which you can use to check for security holes on your server.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck!

Linux Engineer
    check out rootkit progs as well...they will help find breeches...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux User
    And there's one overriding point which is worth mentioning: the majority of distributions allow one to install a Linux server and come with tools to secure the machine. A server distribution will factor itself out of the market if it is not securable through standard menu items.

Hope this helps

Tech

Just Joined!

if you have internet services open and running you might also look into intrusion detection http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

Just Joined!

Security

hi,

Try 'Nessus'

Linux Enthusiast
    I also recommend NMAP for port scanning, this will definitely tell you what ports you have open.

Linux Enthusiast
    I would recommend Nessus too, if only I was able to get to work myself. Although, I only allowed myself 15-minutes with the product before I moved on to NMAP. Installing and running the service was a snap, interface is another issue. NMAP is worth its weight in gold, if you ask me. Besides, what other application was used on the Matrix?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast