Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for a good reliable easy to use FTP server with a nice GUI for my clients. I really like bullethead FTP, but it doesn't run so well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good FTP Server with GUI

I am looking for a good reliable easy to use FTP server with a nice GUI for my clients. I really like bullethead FTP, but it doesn't run so well on linux. Any ideas?

Linux User

Re: Good FTP Server with GUI

Quote Originally Posted by durty_nacho
    I am looking for a good reliable easy to use FTP server with a nice GUI for my clients. I really like bullethead FTP, but it doesn't run so well on linux. Any ideas?
    i think theres a GUI for KDE that can be used to config vsftpd
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    It needs to be a GUI for end user control. Again this needs to be a server not a client.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    It needs to be a GUI for end user control. Again this needs to be a server not a client.
    it is a front end to control a server
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    IF you want to make a GUI FTo server i sugest you to install Webmin and then you can administer your FTP server via Web interface in a GUI.

www.webmin.org

You can administer anything you like from webmin in a GUI.

Offering clients a nice FTP gui is not the servers responsability..... all ftp servers conform to the same standard, and while some have nicer configuration tools written than others (read GUI) there is no way for an ftp server to provide the GUI for a client. Althought a client may choose to use a nice gui to access the ftp.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Did you ever find anything?

I'm looking for something that I can use with a low learning curve.

From time to time, I share files with others and prefer to let them connect to my PC directly versus trying to send the files via yousendit.com, etc., since I've got a relatively fast cable modem connection to my home (and my router is already setup to route ftp traffic to the connection my PC grabs from the router).

So, I have Serv-U installed under Windows XP Pro.

But, I can't seem to locate anything similar to Serv-U with a nice GUI that makes it easier to setup and administor users and permissions for use with Linux (I'm currently using SimplyMEPIS more and more on the desktop, and would like to have an easy to use FTP server solution for it, too).

There must be something out there (surely I'm not the only person that would like a nice GUI interface for configuration versus using command line interfaces, editing files, etc.).

If you have any suggestions, they would be appreciated. I've received a few suggestions on other forums. But, they all appear to involve use of command line, and I'd prefer the ease of use I have with products like Serv-U under Windows).

Thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    Why don't you install and configure vsftpd and have your clients utilize anonymous ftp - using Internet Explorer or FireFox (ftp://serverip_or_hostname)? You can't get more graphical than that, can you?