Find the answer to your Linux question:
I realize I may have to cross post this but I'm trying to find more about bandwidth throttling. i know of the document on tldp.org that discusses. (ADSL-Bandwidth-Managing). But I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail/POP3 hoging upload bandwidth.

I realize I may have to cross post this but I'm trying to find more about bandwidth throttling. i know of the document on tldp.org that discusses. (ADSL-Bandwidth-Managing). But I'm not ready to touch the kernel and stuff yet. I'm hoping i can start smaller and work my way to that. My current implementation is two servers. one as the router that also runs the smtp server pop server and name serving. I recently aquired more powerful server runs apache and tomcat now.

When I'm on the road receiving a large email from a pop connection the whole router slows down and sometimes the websites don't respond and ssh is barely useable.

My web searches have taken me in circles so i'm wondering if anyone has some advice or links. i've only been doing linux for a year so i'm pretty green especially when it comes to understanding a lot of the iptable comands in my routing script. but i really want to understand it all better.

thanks for any help,
    ggenglish

Linux Guru
    The only good way to do bandwidth throttling is via the kernel. After all, that's the only place you can modify the packet scheduler.

Just Joined!
    hmmm, ok, well then i'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the advice Dolda. Well, unless you advise differently I will go through that ADSL Bandwidth Managing doc:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandw...WTO/index.html

Seems to be the only document that uses iptables instead of ipchains. hehe.

Thanks again , ggenglish.

Linux Guru
    That document seems excellent. I'll read it too.