Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am looking for a linux app/distro that can run some version of windows update services (Or linux equivilant). Our company doesn't really want to shell out the $$$ for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows update server for Linux?

I am looking for a linux app/distro that can run some version of windows update services (Or linux equivilant). Our company doesn't really want to shell out the $$$ for a w2k server to run the process. Anyone know of an app or distro for linux that can download and distribute windows updates?

Re: Windows update server for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Rcouts
    I am looking for a linux app/distro that can run some version of windows update services (Or linux equivilant). Our company doesn't really want to shell out the $$$ for a w2k server to run the process. Anyone know of an app or distro for linux that can download and distribute windows updates?
    Nope, why can't the clients just download them straight off the 'net anyways?
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    200 clients tieing up a T1 line with downloads is completely inefficient and renders the internet connection nearly innert for any other activities. However, being able to only have one computer access the downloads, and then push them out over the much faster lan cabling is much more efficient.

Why don't you just download those updates from there:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...n&categoryid=7

...and distribute them afterwards?

Anyway from there:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/a...displaylang=en

you can find anything.

Like, by entering:
    Product/Technology: Windows XP
    Category: Windows (Security & Updates)
    Release Date: All
    Sort Results By: Release Date

What you are trying to do is certainly possible, I don't see anything stopping you from doing it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I appreciate your responses, but manual downloading and distribution of patches and security hot fixes isn't what I am looking for. If this solution was viable for large scale buisnesses, do you think Microsoft would have bothered putting out WSUS? I was just curious if a WSUS type solution had been coded by some like-minded individual out there who wanted to distribute Windows Updates without having to purchase a costly win2k server licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcouts
    I appreciate your responses, but manual downloading and distribution of patches and security hot fixes isn't what I am looking for. If this solution was viable for large scale buisnesses, do you think Microsoft would have bothered putting out WSUS? I was just curious if a WSUS type solution had been coded by some like-minded individual out there who wanted to distribute Windows Updates without having to purchase a costly win2k server licence.
    Not that I promote it, but there is always keys lying around on the net, and you can buy a copy of W2K Advanced Server on eBay for pennies anyways. Why would a Linux user code a server for Windows updates anyways?
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux User
    if rember correctly theres a project to distribute install files for programs so clients can install them in quiet mode. All it is is a bunch of scripts that windows scripting engine reads and run.

How ever the preoblem is somthing im also interested in and in particular once im confident with programming its a project i might want to take on. but if ye find a solution please tell us.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

If it's only bandwidth that's the issue, cant you solve this by using a caching proxy, such as squid. The first to connect and download patches would leave the file in the proxy cache, and everyone else would get their update from there...
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    i was going to say the Proxy would help.
    Just like anythingin general, not just for the updates but every day webbing actions done by the workers in the company. most likely many ppl hits the same site over and over in the same day.

Linux User
    if i rember corectly most of the athentication(checks the license) data is over something nonstandard but the proxy would work for the bulk of the transfer, how ever the admin would not have ideal control.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast