Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have setup ipvs, but have a few issues. First, ipvs is using the round robin module. The problem is the ipvs director is running apache and has 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ipvs

Hi! I have setup ipvs, but have a few issues. First, ipvs is using the round robin module. The problem is the ipvs director is running apache and has 1 dir on it that i want only that system to serve and not have the other systems serve. it is /packages. When i go to 192.168.0.5/packages sometimes i get the dir sometimes i don't because ipvs is using the round robin module. I want all requests for /packages to just go straight to 192.168.0.5 (the ipvs director) and not go to any of the server behind the director. All other requests should go to the other servers (10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3,...). With the round robin module sometimes i get /packages, but sometimes i don't. Any ideas on how i can fix this?

Just Joined!
    here something to help make it clearer

Code:
    ipvsadm -L
    IP Virtual Server version 1.2.1 (size=4096)
    Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
      -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
    TCP  srv.genesis.blogdns.net:www rr
      -> srv.genesis.blogdns.net:www  Local   1      0          0         
      -> diskless2.genesis.blogdns.ne Masq    1      0          1         
      -> diskless1.genesis.blogdns.ne Masq    1      0          1         
    TCP  srv.genesis.blogdns.net:www rr
      -> diskless1.genesis.blogdns.ne Masq    1      0          0         
      -> diskless2.genesis.blogdns.ne Masq    1      0          0
    /packages is on srv.genesis.blogdns.net so all requests for /packages should just go straight there instead of going through the director.

Just Joined!
    The whole point of using the load balancer is to distribute the load on your "real" servers. Meaning the servers should be essentially mirror images of each other, unless for some reason you want different versions of a site to come up with each request.

If I remember correctly, you should really only be running just the ipvs on director. Im not sure how your setup is, but Im going to guess that you have the two mirrored machines as real servers, and you have your director as a mirrored server as well, but with one additional folder?

The reason your only getting access to that folder every few hits is because of the round-robin scheduling. The only way i really see around this is two possibilities:
    1) if you have a dns box setup, you can throw another ethernet adapter into the director and associate that ip with your director's apache server
    2) Assuming all the servers are mirrored, including the director, why not just put that folder on all of them.

-Matt

*edit*
    why do you have two entries for srv.genesis.blogdns.net on your ipvsadm?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close