Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Apache 2 on a SuSE 10 box. I want to change the Apache config so that it doesn't look for an index.html, instead, I want it to default ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Change Apache from HTML to HTM

I'm using Apache 2 on a SuSE 10 box. I want to change the Apache config so that it doesn't look for an index.html, instead, I want it to default to an index.htm. Where do I make this change?

I have removed all of the default setup files - replacing them with my Web site. However, I must change the index file from .htm to .html. I break a lot of links in doing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast

I've Tried!

Okay, I've tried editing /etc/apache2/httpd.conf by adding the index.htm beside index.html and index.html.var; however, when I change my index file to reflect index.htm I receive an access denied error. When I change my index file back to index.html it works. How can I make this change work?

Just Joined!
    I use an older version of Apache on Slackware, but it sounds like you didn't restart the server after you added index.htm to the DirectoryIndex directive, or that you updated the directive incorrectly.