Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello, Pls I installed have Putty installed on my WinXP laptop in a bid to use it to connect to my Linux PC(FC4). I assigned an IP on my Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Putty Connection refused error

hello,

Pls I installed have Putty installed on my WinXP laptop in a bid to use it to connect to my Linux PC(FC4).

I assigned an IP on my Linux Box in the format xxx.xxx.xx.5 and the problem is that this is the only IP that allows connection from Windows using SSH. If I change my Linux Box IP(static) to xxx.xxx.xx.4 or 3, etc, and i try to connect from Windows to Linux using SSH, i get a "connection refused" error.

Pls help
    Toks

Banned
    hmm very strange, did you restart the linux box, to make it take affect

Linux Newbie
    yes,

i restarted the network from the terminal, did ping tests to and from Linux to Windows, etc. I even rebooted the server to confirm. then i tried using putty to login again and I get the error i mentioned in my first post.

Toks

Linux User
    Check for firewall rules to make sure you're not battling those first..

itg-debian:/home/default# iptables -L | grep ssh
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:ssh
    This basically says that it will accept a SSH connection from any foreign IP address to any local IP address.. If yours shows somehting different post the results..
    far...out

So you change the Linux box IP, and then you can no longer connect to it from PuTTY? (I am hoping you remembered to change the IP in the PuTTY client as well to reflect the change.)

When you have already connected to an ssh server and the IP of that server changes, some clients prevent you from connecting. Or, more commonly, they throw up a warning message that host identification has changed. This is to prevent a man in the middle attack. You can try deleting your known hosts in the PuTTY client.

Linux Newbie
    hi anomie,

Yes, i i changed my IP address and i can no longer connect to it from Putty. Yeah, i remembered the change the IP on the putty client as well.

The IP of the server did not change after i connected. Its like this....

I assigned an IP xxx.xxx.xx.5 to my FC4 server, while my WinXP has xxx.xxx.xx.6. If I change my FC4 IP to xxx.xxx.xx.4 for example, I cant connect from WIn to Linux using Putty anymore. I get the error "connection refused"

Toks

Linux Newbie
    hi farslayer
    i logged into my FC4 as root and typed the command
    iptables -L | greph ssh
    there was no desplay. I just got my prompt on the next line

Pls note: At least, for the moment, I want it to accept ssh connections from IPs on my local LAN, not from foreign IPs

thanks for the help
    Toks

Quote Originally Posted by farslayer
    Check for firewall rules to make sure you're not battling those first..

itg-debian:/home/default# iptables -L | grep ssh
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
    ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:ssh
    This basically says that it will accept a SSH connection from any foreign IP address to any local IP address.. If yours shows somehting different post the results..

Linux Newbie

Re: Putty Connection refused error

Quote Originally Posted by Tokunbo
    hello,

Pls I installed have Putty installed on my WinXP laptop in a bid to use it to connect to my Linux PC(FC4).

I assigned an IP on my Linux Box in the format xxx.xxx.xx.5 and the problem is that this is the only IP that allows connection from Windows using SSH. If I change my Linux Box IP(static) to xxx.xxx.xx.4 or 3, etc, and i try to connect from Windows to Linux using SSH, i get a "connection refused" error.

Pls help
    Toks
    Hi,
    Basically, why we need to use Putty?
    I saw someone install in Windows machine
    Proper Planing is a way of success

Linux Newbie
    hello guys,

I think i might have solved a part the problem i complained about and I thought to share how I got it solved.

As root, I cd'd to /etc/ssh/, vi'd into the file(sshd_config) changed the "Listen Address" to the IP address of my choice....xxx.xxx.xx.10. I also changed the IP of my eth0 to xxx.xxx.xx.10. I then restarted ssh and my network. So im able to login into ssh.

Note: I guess my old IP got registered into the "Listen Address" part the first time I ran putty from Windows.

cheers
    Toks

Linux Newbie
    After a hard way of finding it out, you now know that changing your ip addresses can give you a hardtime.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast