Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm currently investigating setting up a new Domain Controller or Directory Server on Linux to replace an single aging NT Domain controller supporting about 30 local workstations. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New domain controller/directory server on Linux?

Hi,
    I'm currently investigating setting up a new Domain Controller or Directory Server on Linux to replace an single aging NT Domain controller supporting about 30 local workstations. I was wondering if anybody had any experience in doing this as I've only previously used Active Directory as this is the de facto thing.

Requirements:

migrate all the existing users from one NT domain controller (preferably to new box)

Single sign-on for both Windows and Linux machines

This seems to be quite hard to do, so any help is appreciated.

Linux User
    if its a nt 4 dc theres the instruction manual and a how to on www.samba.org. Thats for setting up a nt4 style domain. how ever if you want a full directory then your best off looking to set up a ldap directory with support for unix and windows account info. the best how to for that is http://www.idealx.org/prj/samba/smbldap-howto.en.html
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis