Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have a problem of website not running on our server. I am new to linux and Apache. Can someone help me fixing the problem? Actually I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Website down

Hi All,

I have a problem of website not running on our server. I am new to linux and Apache. Can someone help me fixing the problem? Actually I would like to know how one keeps a check on the performance of the websites. For eg: How can one troubleshoot the Apache and linux to know the problem. Please I need help desperatly.

Cheers
    Linuxbee

Linux User
    you can install the webalizer software to keep track of it, but if it is not running, you need to give us some more info about what distro, what version - what error do you get when it starts, etc...

my crystal ball is a little cloudy today, so I can't use it...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the reply ..... Error!!

Hi,
    Whenever I try opening the page it gives me "Cannot find server or DNS Error" error. I do not know if wealizer is installed or not on our webserver. Where do you think I should lookup if needed on our webserver to find wether webalizer is installed or not.

Thanks once again.
    Cheers
    Linuxbee

Linux Guru
    What URL are you using to access it and what is your network setup? Can you check so that apache is running at all on the server?

Just Joined!

Apache is running

Hi,
    Yeah Apache is running. There are 20 other websites running on the same server. The url of the website is http://www.mimico.co.nz. What do you mean by network stup? Actually, the webserver is hosted somewhere else.

Linux User
    im getting more and more lost --> if the website is hosted elsewhere then you need to check with them to fix it

if 20 out of 21 work, it's the 21th that doesnt - did it ever work? I reslove the Ip address to
    203.167.190.46 - is this where you wanted it to go to? Again, it sounds like you need to talk with the guys hosting your website for you
    majorwoo

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I get the same IP (No, really! It IS true!), but I can neither ping it, trace it or connect to port 80 on it, ie. it's like the server is down completely.

Like majorwoo says, you will need to check it with whoever is hosting it.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the reply

Hi,
    The story is something like this. Earlier we were hosting the server in our office but now we have moved it to some other place. The website has been down since last 2 weeks ever sicne we moved our server but rest of the websites are working fine. Can you guys please guide me how to trouble shoot such problems?

Thanks once again[/i]

Linux Guru
    OK, I get a little more of the problem. But still: is it your server, and do you have physical access (or access at all) to it?
    And I think it will be difficult to do anything without knowing your network setup, ie. how is the computer connected and through what other devices (including IP addresses, routing, hubs and everything, as long as it's not confidential or so).

Linux User
    cause it sure seems like you dont have it connected to the internet, or else if you do - you have it turned off/behind some firewall...
    majorwoo