Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have a Debian server back home behind a Linksys router with port forwarding set to 21, 22, 23, 25, and 80. The FQDN is www.bublades.com Put in in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can view website but can't ping server

So I have a Debian server back home behind a Linksys router with port forwarding set to 21, 22, 23, 25, and 80. The FQDN is www.bublades.com

Put in in your web browser and take a look. The website comes up just fine. You can also ssh or sftp to it.

The problem is that I want to set it up with mailman to be able to send mail to all the members of the organization. So I installed sendmail with apt, but then I realized that I cannot ping the server or telnet to it.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks, Tim

Re: Can view website but can't ping server

Quote Originally Posted by timwalsh
    So I have a Debian server back home behind a Linksys router with port forwarding set to 21, 22, 23, 25, and 80. The FQDN is www.bublades.com

Put in in your web browser and take a look. The website comes up just fine. You can also ssh or sftp to it.

The problem is that I want to set it up with mailman to be able to send mail to all the members of the organization. So I installed sendmail with apt, but then I realized that I cannot ping the server or telnet to it.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks, Tim
    They very well might have ICMP Echo disabled, to prevent attempted Ping of Deaths, and similar attacks. Also, many people close their telnet port, as it's not commonly used anymore.

mailman Is usually put on a different port and a lot of internet providers block that port. CHeck with your internet provider and see if they will allow the mail port to go through.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, I still can't ping my server or telnet to it, but I seem to have mailman partially configured. I now have a listinfo and admin page for my mailing list, and when I subscribe an email address a message goes out to the individual asking for confirmation. My problem now is that the server doesn't seem to be recieving either these confirmation emails (since nobody is subscribed yet) or my test emails to the list. I'm thinking my problems are related.

What port does mailman run on, if not port 25 (which I have specifically kept open and forwarded to my server, in case there was any confusion)?

Quote Originally Posted by timwalsh
    OK, I still can't ping my server or telnet to it, but I seem to have mailman partially configured.
    Did you read my response?
    What port does mailman run on, if not port 25 (which I have specifically kept open and forwarded to my server, in case there was any confusion)?
    Like beachboy said, many ISPs block port 25.

Just Joined!
    But if 25 is indeed blocked (and I'm reading various things to the effect that my ISP, Comcast, does do this), why is the mail allowed to go outbound? Like I said, it sends out confirmation emails to the addresses that I subscribe. It's recieving emails that seems to be the problem. How does that prevent spamming?

Anyway, if it's blocked it's blocked. How do I set up on another port? There are over 6,000 of them, right?

I believe that Comcast only blocks incoming traffic on port 25, but don't quote me.

my sbc here blockes port 25 unless you call them and have it unblocked.
    <advertising NOT allowed in signatures>

Just Joined!
    I may have just found my problem... check this out.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mai...ch/027645.html

Glad you found a solution