Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i'll start out by saying this is the 3rd forum i posted this on, and i'm still waiting for a response.. i am basicly a linux newbie, and just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat 8.0 and Mysql

ok, i'll start out by saying this is the 3rd forum i posted this on, and i'm still waiting for a response.. i am basicly a linux newbie, and just need a simple (or so i think..) problem fixed. I installed Redhat 8.0 with all the options, all 4gb and got apache and php working. The only things left, that i really need right now are the ftp server and mysql. More importantly, MySQL. when i try and connect to mysql, i get this: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    i checked, and sure enough, that file isint there. I tried installing mysql 3 and 4 with no luck. i tried -Uvh on the rpms and found that a bunch of errors came up, all with the package libmysqlclient.so.10 which i did find on my hard drive. Please she domse light on this, becuase i do not want to haev to re-install xp, and go back to that..

Thanks,
    Kevin

Linux User
    Strangely enough, RH seems to have left out a part of the MySQL installation. I had to go and find the package php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5.i386.rpm at rpmfind.net. I have notes at work about the file that is missing, but I'm at home as I write this. The package takes care of the missing package. I hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Strangely enough, RH seems to have left out a part of the MySQL installation. I had to go and find the package php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5.i386.rpm at rpmfind.net. I have notes at work about the file that is missing, but I'm at home as I write this. The package takes care of the missing package. I hope this helps.
    Sorry, I forgot to login before I wrote and posted that. I found this solution posted by some one else in a newsgroup. Or was it a forum? I'm getting old, my memory is not so good.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ah, i thought it was aproblem with the mysql rpm, i'll go try that now.